Open Pollenated Corn Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mike in Pa, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I'm looking for ideas for a good OP field, sweet AND popcorn .... looking for all 3. Any suggestions?

I tried Bloody Butcher for field corn last year ... it was great but it doesn't seem to grind well. Really tough stuff.

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We have developed our own "strain" of Reid's yellow dent field corn by saving seeds from ears that are large, on strong stocks and placed at the easy spot for us to pick.

Most of the really "sweet" corns are hybrids, but we still love the old standard Golden Bantum and plant some every year so we keep fresh seed. Don't plant popcorn so I can't help you there.

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I like rainbow inca from seeds of change. You can eat it fresh from the garden, roast it or let it go and it makes a great flour corn.

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i agree about the rainbow inca. it's a pretty corn too. of course i might be a bit prejudiced, since it's also the only sweet corn that's ever done really well for me.

5. Mike in Pa

Thanks very much to all (three) that replied. I didn't know Reid's Yellow Dent was OP. I guess unless it's not labeled as hybrid then it's OP.

It's just AMAZING that no one else here uses OP corn!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Mike, Reid's indeed is OP and still available via Shumway's. It's been around since 1847 and was a hybrid cross between a late red dent corn and an early white flint variety. Definitely one of the older ones that are still around.

Shumway's is carrying 9 different field corns. One offer is for all 9 in 2-ounce or half pound packages. A bit pricey but you could try all 9 and see which you like best.

www.rhshumway.com

Martin

7. Mike in Pa

Martin,
    I just received a Shumways magazine (thanks to your advice last year) and I couldn't find the field corn in it ... I'll look online. It's easier to do all my ordering from one place and they seem to have a lot of the heirloon stuff I want. The only problem I had last year was a late ship ... hopefully won't be a problem this year.

Thanks,
    Mike

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Mike, field corn is on pages 36 & 37 of the 2004 Shumway catalog. It's easy to get lost in that large size catalog. I think that it's the only major seed catalog still in that old newspaper format.

Two new dents this year, Green Oxacana and Green 'n Gold. John Deere and Green Bay Packers corn! Should go over big here in Wisconsin!

There should be no delays this season. 20 more phone stalls added to handle the phone orders.

Martin

9. Mike in Pa

Son of a Gun! It sure is. It even took me a minute to fine the page number in that old format :haha:

Thanks again,
    Mike