Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have a lot of linear feet we need turn into a driveway. It is roughly 500 feet from the entrance of the property to where we want to have the house built. I am looking to see if anyone has experience with open cell or permeable pavers as a driveway this long vs having concrete poured.

We are trying to find out what the costs would be associated with this. Concrete costs vs alternative methods?

The property is in Michigan and our biggest concern is snow/ice and the ability to use a snow blower or plow on the surface of whatever we put down.

Pavers do not seem like they would hold up well to plows and snow blowers, and open cell grids holding gravel may be a better choice to allow water to drain through, but I think it would result in a lot of missing stones after each winter of plowing, etc.

Concrete would require salting and form ice patches if not, but would be the easier to plow.

Any ideas or thoughts?? Thanks!

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,752 Posts
I'd go with concrete, and make sure it's raised a few inches above grade to allow for drainage.
With pavers I think you would never have a level surface due to uneven settling and frost heaving.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
500' I'd just do a gravel road or paved road instead of concrete. Anything permeable will frost heave. Gravel road can be bladed when it does.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
If you poured concrete, would you need a permit? If so, you may be taxed on it.
Dunno where you are located, but you need to check.
I used gravel. Not an issue in snow. Just make sure it's graded properly, then use larger gravel with a smaller size on top. Find out how gravel roads are made. Actually, the best I lucked into was a parking lot that was being ground up and I got truck after truck load poured on my circular drive. Settled in and never moved.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'd do asphalt. It will be cheaper than concrete, and the black surface melts ice and snow off real nicely in the winter. Also, salt won't damage surface of asphalt.

Asphalt doesn't last as long as concrete, however if you install a good stone base, thick enough asphalt, and keep it maintained (sealed) it will last your lifetime.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I live in Michigan too and around here a cheaper alternative to concrete or asphalt is crushed asphalt. They lay it down just like gravel and it will pack down, you can use a roller on it or have the asphalt company do it. Plain gravel will still probably be a cheaper way to go.

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Permeable concrete where you get frost will not work. It will take in the moisture and the freeze will displace and crack everything.

The best driveway is crushed stone. It does need annual maintenance tho. For the cost difference you could buy a little tractor to do the work. The big benefits to stone is water can drain so you never get standing water to form ice. The stone will be a frozen mass when you plow so no worries about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts