Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have markets in your area that are open all year ?

I live in Northern California but In Sacramento they have a market that is open all year its about 330 miles away round trip.

They have one on Saturday and Sunday in different parts of towns. If you guys had a market that far away would you attempt to sale at during the winter time ?

Right now im just in the planning stage for my market garden but Im always looking towards the future espically if I could find a way to do this full time.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
A lady who buys my eggs to resell, goes to a market three hours from here in Westchester NY. She seems to do well since the cost of living there is much higher than it is here. She would never get away with selling her products here for what she charges in Westchester. Why don't you go to the Sacramento markets on a fact finding mission and jot down the prices there. Make sure you won't be the 20th person selling the same item before you invest in going full time.
Linda

·
Registered
429 Posts
We have a market that I think is open all year about an hour away. Haven't been in the winter but know there aren't nearly the number of vendors, not sure about customers. Lisa

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
We dont yet but we had a special sale at the fayetteville bontanical gardens on DEC 8th I sold $200 worth of produce, Next year they say it will be all winter.My Kale was dissapointing I expected it to last all winter but affter it got down to 7 degrees the leaves were ruined with little brown spots cold damage I guess.Dont know if I will participate past dec as I cant go with just leeks maybe if I grow spinach under plastic or plant a lot going into the winter.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Around here there are several winter markets. The venders are mostly bee keepers, maple syrup venders and organic meat venders. One vendor is buying all my eggs(50 dozen a week) and reselling them at the market. Makes me want to set up a hoop house and sell some cool weather crops. But then I remember the high winter winds and bone chilling temperatures and change my mind. Hybernation is a good thing :0
Linda

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are actually considering if we do okay at this summer market and by okay we're just hoping for about a 5k profit which I think we will reach easy but im always setting my goals low.

But if it works out we're probaly going to bigger the following year and purchase acouple of greenhouse for winter growing also.

I dont know why but iam actually really excited about this.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Ours is open once a month indoors in the winter months. I have been pleasantly surprised as to how many customers we have in the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts