Oops!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by coventry49, Dec 24, 2004.

1. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    Like many other places in the country it's pretty frigid right now in Montana. But I have my old farmhouse caulked, plastic'd, etc. to keep winter weather OUTSIDE. Yesterday, the wind was blowing at about 30 mph and the temps topped out at a balmy 9 degrees above zero. I got home from work at about 4:30 and much to my horror, I discovered that my back door had blown open in the wind! I must not have closed it properly before I'd left in the morning. The laundry room was completely frozen and my old furnace was struggling to keep the rest of the house above freezing. Even my dogs were cold.

I shut the door (of course) and turned on my oven to help out the furnace, but it took nearly 12 hours to get the temps back up into the upper 60's in the living room. One of my house plants is suffering but should recover, and thankfully, the laundry room seems to have thawed out without any pipes bursting. (God was taking care of me yet again :) )

One of the few real problems with being single and living alone is that I've got no one to blame but my own silly self!

2. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

You need a wood stove. :eek:

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your accidental freeze up. Thankfully, it's not a normal occurrence and if you can thaw out things and all gets well after that, you'll be fine. Poor doggies. :waa: I would worry more about my dogs more than anything, but they would be fairly hardy and hopefully find a spot to cuddle into keeping warm for that lenght of time.

It was -35F this morning. One faucet almost froze up, but I got it going.
    I go to turn on the clothes washer though, and nothing. I now have to put a small heater against the pipes in the basement spot that it froze up and thaw.
    Well, it's not an every day occurence, but one of those small nuicences we have to put up with in the northland sometimes.

I hear a warm spell is coming after this weekend. It'll be a welcome break! :worship:

4. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

Oh yuck! :( I hope your plant survives.....I bet you'll always double check that door from now on! :)

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Know the feeling.My Dogs have figured out how to open the Back Door but they don't shut it after them.Then today had a Window slide open.

Suppose to be warm tonight though,its only suppose to get in the Teens.

big rockpile

6. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

I hafta ask...what do you consider a warm spell, Moonwolf?

7. norris

norris Well-Known Member

I hate big houses. 800 square feet should be plenty for a single person. A small wood stove would heat it up in a few minutes.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

:haha:
    Well, it warmed up to 22F today. That's considerably warmer than -35