Oops!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JAS, Nov 20, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was met by my young doe running around with hay in her mouth!

I decided belatedly to keep this doe because of her pretty chocolate color and size so did not pull her out of the fryer cage until too late. Actually we where late on butching this lot because of lack of time. Well anyway she apparently got bred, had babies last night, seems to be doing well. She is about five months old so got bred at four months.

I need to get better at sexing these buggers. Had her marked as a male and the other as a female at first. I tried breeding another male with my buck--double oops :) .

2. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

:haha: Boy, do I hear you there. I sexed 5 out of 6 in a litter as does, put them in seperate cages, and 3 months later took them out to breed, and 3 were not girls!!!!!!!!!! Luckily, I check before putting them in to breed.
    nan

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Yes, it took me the longest time to learn to sex my rabbits better. I've discovered that when young, the boys look just like the girls, only they're... for lack of a better term "donut-shaped". I didn't realize that the little bucks don't look like the big bucks when I sexed my first litter - I thought I had all does. Big surprise when I ended up with another litter from all of my "girls".

Even now, I sometimes have trouble sexing them correctly, but I get it right most of the time. :rolleyes: