Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the gist. I set up my colony in my backyard. I knew my doe was due any day and had planned to pull my buck out that morning. As I was cleaning out their litter area I spotted blood. My doe kindled 2 days early. When I found my doe she was being mounted by my buck:facepalm:
Anyways put my doe with my buck yesterday and he had no real interest in her. I suspect she's been re bred. What would you suggest I do? Or how would you go about with helping the litter grow strong and give momma as much help as possible. If she kindles early again she's due Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Those are all myths that bucks won't breed a pregnant rabbit or that pregnant rabbits won't lift/breed.
Sounds like this was a long time ago, you should of free fed her from when the first litter is born and out through to just before weaning. So free feed through last litter, keep free feeding until this new litter is born and weaned.
You can add calf manna as a supplement, but free fed pellets should be more than enough.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Raise the next litter. No big deal. Some of mine in colony rebred 3 times in a row before a couple months of summer or winter break. I actually found if they started to get stressed by the litters many would refuse the buck for a few weeks. Not all but there were some I could count on to regulate themselves and then the bucks going sterile in the hottest part of summer so they got breaks with no intervention. As long as their flesh and coat condition are good all you need to do is make sure they are fed enough. Pellets are usually free fed to pregnant, nursing does, and growing kits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts