Ooops. A doe was pregnant and I didn't know.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, Apr 21, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I had a trio in a large breeding cage. Once the first doe gave birth (I have never seen so much hair before...she pulled enough to make a whole other adult rabbit), I removed the buck. I checked the other doe over really well, and she didn't appear to be preggers.

yesterday afternoon, my daughter noticed the dog eating something, took a cloer look and it was a kit! We ran thgouth all the hutches, and then discovered the other doe had kindled. There wasn't a 2nd box in there, so she had them on the wire. I immediately started scooping up all the babies, which had fallen out of the hutch because flemmish have a tendancy to chew the wire. In all there were 8. One was found dead, then, the one the dog had, so I gathered the 6 up off the ground, took the bunnies (3-4 weeks) out of the nesting box and put them in a different box with lots of bermuds.

I put the new kits in the box that the older ones had been in hoping one fo the does would go in and nurse.

Later in the evening, I went out to check and the mother was in the box moving he hair around and feeding. I was so relieved. At first I paniced because I have no other doe due to surrogate, but she's doing great and the other mother accepted the new box her kits were in...they are running around, anyway.

It's been so hectic that I completely forgot to check that doe later after I removed the buck. At least I nkow, in spite of the babies falling out,her not pulling hair and having them on the wire, she has accepted them once I got them in the box.

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Every once in a while we get lucky :D

Do you handle your rabbits frequently?
    We had a similar situation once and the mother rejected them(smell?)

Hope the babies do well

_Neal

3. birdie_poo

I always handle...can't help it, but I also check the kits just about every day until they are about 12 days old, or whenthe eyes open...just want to make sure we don't get one the keels over and draws ants or flies.

We don't play with them, they are breed for meat, not pets, unless someone expresses and interest in buying one as a pet, then we do extensive handling to ensure they are calm when picked up, not scratchy-wild.

4. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I don't know why, but that phrase "scratchy-wild" just cracked me up!! I guess because of the mental image? I think I get that way sometimes, myself! LOL!!

Pam :cool: <------ cracks up over the most obscure things...

5. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Oh yes, I've been there. My very first NZ doe was about 5 months old when I bought her. I thought I'd give her another month to get used to her new digs and mature a bit more before I bred her. Well, I went out one morning to find a very dead litter of 5 on the wire...guess she was left in with her littermates a little too long!

It's great that you were able to save the rest of the litter. I did the same thing with that same doe...although this time, she had prepared next box, so she had no excuse for having them on the wire! :grump: But anyway, I was able to get three of the kits back in, and she did a good job with them after that. Of course, she kept having these tiny litters, so she had to go anyway...but at least she had a really great "pet" temperment, so that wasn't too hard.

6. birdie_poo

OK...now that everyone is fat and happy, I have a new problem. The older kits wont saty out of the box with the younger ones. I keep checking, the young ones are getting fed, but the older ones go in there and pee on the little ones...they snuggle with them, too, which can't be bad, since they are keeping them warm, but the peeing has got to stop!!! :grump:

At least th does are doing great with their litters...It could have been much worse, having two does and two litters in the same pen.