Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, someone on this board recommended a local beekeeping course. I wasn't able to swing it last year, but this weekend, I completed the Indiana Beekeeping School! Wow, I'm super excited. I came home and finished constructing my hive after class yesterday. All of my frames are built. I just have to sand and paint the outside, and it'll be ready to go! Yippee!

When you paint the boxes, do you paint the top and bottom edges? I know you don't paint the inside.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Inside....No

Outside...Yes

Edges...optional. The boxes will last longer if you do. Most rot begins on the bottom of the box.

If you haven't ordered your bees, do so very soon. Most breeders will fill the year's booking by the end of Jan.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My nucs are ordered. I'm actually going to build another hive, also. As part of taking the course, we get priority from a couple of local breeders. My DD13 is very excited too. She's going to build the second hive, and has reserved "naming rights" for the queens. Goofy kid. :)

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Glad you liked the class! At which location were you? I was leading the Nashville class - we had a great group.

For others reading this, thru our community college video network, we held the class simultaneously in Indy, Ft. Wayne, Terre Haute, Columbus & Nashville, with 98 total students this year.

www.indianabeekeepingschool.com

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indypartridge-
I was in the Indianapolis class. I believe it was YOU, who suggested the course last year. :) I couldn't afford it at the time, but I saved my pennies and nickels, and was able to do it this year. It was a great class. I learned SO much! I can't wait for it to warm up and Rob to start opening his hives. I wanna see some bees! :)

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
No need to sand. Just paint/stain, I also recommend doing the edges isn't all that hard to do with a slim 1" brush.

:D Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts