OOOld seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Buckrun, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

We were cleaning out my DW's aunts house. I found an old tin full of seeds. They may be from as far back as the 1950's or 60's. I was thinking of planting them next year just to see if they would grow. Maybe find some old verity that they don’t have around anymore. What do you think? I haven’t had time to go
    through the tin to see what is in there.
    Steve

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

1050? Holy moly!!!!

3. Buckrun

1050? :D
    Goofed
    Steve

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Probably an exercise in futility. Very few seeds will last for a decade even if kept frozen. Don't get you hopes set too high.

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

OTOH, what have you got to lose? Give us a report if any of them do sprout!!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If there are any tomato seeds in the lot, I'd be interested in knowing what varieties. If any of those are not common varieties, I'd like to be given a shot at germinating. There IS a chance that tomato seeds that old could still be viable but not without special chemical treatment first and a lot of special care afterward. Much would depend upon the fluctuations in humidity over the years. If that tin was closed all this time, always a chance. For anything else, other than beans, your chances of germination are slim and none.

Martin

7. Buckrun

I'll try to look through the tin tomorrow and report back. If there are tomatos I'll send them to you. If you get any to grow you can save some seeds and send them back to me. :confused:
    Steve

8. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Well we have enough antique shops around here that I'd bet you can sell those puppies for a couple bucks a package, and then go buy some really great seeds and have change in you pocket, plus something that actually GROWS! :)

'sides, if she has old seeds, she probably has old other stuff and a visit from someone who gets a kick out of twenty-five-year-old spice bottles might be profitable!

No kidding, there is a market for this stuff!

Just remember to keep some of the stuff with sentimental value. (If it reminds you of something, it has sentimantal value.)

9. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Put the packages up for individual sale on ebay! Put under antiques. People love to buy old seed packets even without seed in them. there is a whole decorating motif for it. Dont expose packets to sunlight as this deteriorates the ink and paper, and will bleach it bayond use.

Kathy

10. Buckrun

No tomatoes just beans, squash, melons, sweet corn and popcorn. Oh and some flowers.

Kathy That idea crossed my mind as the old flower packs look neat. The rest are just kind of yellow 1 LB packs from Park or Burpee I don't remember. They are out in the shop.

Some other things I cabbaged onto were some chick waters that you would put a jar on top of. They were made of glass. There was also a long wire thing you use to catch chickens. It has a neat little loop in the end for catching them ( I thought by the neck until I tried it out :eek: ) It works good for snagging them by their leg. I will try to post pictures of these in the Poultry forum.

Steve

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Buckrun, I threw some seeds out this year which were likely at least ten years old, maybe a bit older (maybe 12).

And I know that's not as old as thirty and forty years, but still ...

In any case, many of them came up. I have a bumper crop of nasturtiums, a purple morning glory, sage and some other things.

So maybe research the seeds and try them out. ? I think that's what I'd do. Might be worth it. :)