Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were only going to order from ONE catalog this year, to save on paying several shipping and handling charges, which one would you pick?
Seeing as shipping is $4.95--$7.95 per order, even 3 catalogs add up to seeds you could be planting-So, If only One?

G

·
Probably Seeds of Change.

Even though they sold out to the big boys, they still have the best selection of rare heirlooms. They've got EVERYTHING. Even stuff you never heard of.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Territorial Seed... because the plants are grown in Oregon so I know they are for our climate, they have heritage tomatoes, they have seeds and plants and I know they are dependable!!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I think it would depend on if your going for standard open polinated or the fancy heirlooms.
I order through mountain valley seeds. I have found that if I order in the smallest bulk pk, the seeds will last me And still keep producing the 2 or 3 years it takes me to use them. I've only had one pk not live up to this and it was one of the few hybryds I ordered. (they do have both open polinated and hybryd.)
I have also ordered from Morgan County Seeds and found their seeds to be very fresh.
I just order one type of seed from each catagory, rather than a bunch of little pks. In the mean time I learn to save the seed from each type and can buy a different type the next time I order.
It seems to me that the shipping is less if you select a place near you. Also Mountain Valley seeds being in Utah helps me cause they get my order to me in 2-3 days, while I have waited much longer for others, up to 3 weeks.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
Fedco. When I eliminate companies that support Monsanto the list gets small. Then when I look at the list of those who support small farmers, locally grown, organic, eco and heirlooms, Fedco is at the top o the list.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Well I live in the North so I would choose Johnny's Selected Seeds. They promise to sell only non GMO's

·
4,568 Posts
Buying GMO's isn't easy. You have to sign a contract before you can get them. I don't think there's a catalog available to backyard gardeners that does sell GMO's.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
FEDCO. We will be getting together with a group of friends to do our annual seed order and potluck soon, and we order 2/3 or more from Fedco. They are set up so to encourage group orders, and they will ship things already divided up for different orderers, shipped all together. They discount for larger orders, too, and I like the fact that they try to support small suppliers of seed, and let you know it in the seed descriptions. We order some seeds from a very small local company, Stokes, Jungs, Johnny's, Turtle Tree, Baker Creek, and I am sure some others that I am forgetting at the moment. The big advantage of doing this group order is that the shipping costs get divided up among many people so even if we just order a few packs from one supplier, if 2 or 3 of us are ordering from that particular company, the share of postage for each of us is reduced. Another nice thing is that we end up the day with a great potluck and sit around and talk about gardening.

But Fedco would be the company we would use if we could only order from one.

·
4,568 Posts
As another plus, Fedco doesn't charge postage if your order is $30 or more.
I'm disappointed that they've stopped offering a discount for picking up. I'd save almost $40 on seeds alone. My husband drives by. If he picks it up they pocket the money. It's not going to stop me from ordering but I am going to let them know what I think.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Baker's Creek Heirloom Seeds. They are the only company I have ordered from and I really like their company. Plus I know that since they are in my area (and it looks like your area too) what grows there will grow here. But I may be going to check out Fedco.
God bless you and yours
Deb

1 - 20 of 60 Posts