Only 10 Rabbits???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Alvary, May 20, 2005.

1. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

Hello guys

Well, for a while i have been wrestling with the variouse problems accosiated with keeping rabbits in vic. I havn't yet got any, but want to make sure i have everything figured out before i do

My problem is i just read that you may not keep any more than 10 rabbits in victoria without a permit!!!
    This cannot be right! What about all those people who keep them purely as pets? There are 1000's with more than 10!

:soap:
    Some one, please, calm me down and tell me this isn't so!!!
    Jessica

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Jessica ,, You would need to contact your local agriculture agency ,, We don't have the same kind of regulations here in the US that you might have ,,

and I have read that there are much stricter rules in Alustralia due to rabbits being declared a pest and diseases and such ,,, there might also be certain rules you might have to follow as far as houseing too ,,

better check first on all the rules ,, if your government is like ours they really like fineing you even if you didn't know the rules $$$ :grump:

3. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

4. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

thanks patarini

I'm a bit foggy today...This mean i can keep up to 30 rabbits, even if i wish to breed for home consumption?
    If so...yay! I always have liked rabbit. And as i'll be only producing for home, i won't need any more than a havlf dozen does!

Will look into regulations still. I have already alowed .6m each rabbit in the enclosure i'm biulding.

*keeps looking at regulations...and becoming more confused* lol
    Jessica

5. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Jessica,

if you are interested in raising more then 30 and finding out how to get through the red tape, I met a gentleman in Mexico at the 8th World Rabbit Congress last August that lives in Harden. He raises Rex and has a rather large rabbitry in both Harden and in Shanghai.

If you contact me privately I will be happy to give you his address.