Online plant (shrub) directory?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jicama, May 3, 2004.

1. Jicama

Jicama Active Member

Is there someplace online to look up plants? There is a small plant I found in the woods that appears to have some kind of fruit, and I would like to identify it. Does anyone know of a place online that would have that type of info?
    Thanks

2. yup, lots of plant identification sites online. Most all are broken down by geography so let us know what part of the world your in. Or try a WWW search using "plant idenfication" along with your region.

Would be curious to hear of a little description of your discovered plant. What does it look like?

have a good one! Jimmy Mack

3. Jicama

Jicama Active Member

Thank you, I tried "plant identification". Found a lot of information about flowers and trees, but none about shrubs. This plant did not have flowers when I saw it, but it did have some small fruit I have never seen. Any ideas about looking up info about plants when they are not flowering?

4. A conspicuous flower display can make for easy indenfication. Botanists also examine such things as leaf patterns, branching patterns and other details about the plant to help identify it.

Here's a good link to an online field guide for shrubs compliments of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center:

http://www.enature.com/search/show_search_lbjShape.asp?shapeID=5&curGroupID=19

Most are shown in flower but maybe you'll see some family resemblance to your shrub!

regards, Jimmy

"SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND" :D

5. violets

violets Member

If you can take a picture, you can post it at the Name That Plant! Forum at GardenWeb. You'll likely have it identified within an hour.