Online Nursery ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NikiandAlex, Feb 26, 2005.

1. NikiandAlex

NikiandAlex Member

Well, it's finally here! Yesterday, I bought the perfect land. I've been waiting for YEARS and this 7 acres in western VA is worth it! I can't stop smiling!
    I've been looking at online nurserys for setting up my yard with trees and such. (BTW, I found on the National Arbor Day Foundation site, that if you become a member for $10 they'll send you 10 free trees, flowering or oak, if any of you are interested.) So, that's where you all come in! I need to know your expirences and advice with online nursery's and your advice on how to put the trees in when they get delivered. I have a while before I get started, so I hope to gather as much info as possible.
    Thanks! Niki =)

(My other post didn't seem titled right...)

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Welcome to the forums and congratulations to you and your husband on your land purchase. I am sure that you will enjoy it greatly during the coming years.

Don't forget to add some fruit trees even if they are more costly. Some don't fruit for a few years so can get by with only some pruning and no other care. Some however only take a couple of years to some early production so will need more care as you get settled.

Again, welcome to the forum.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Definitely buy fruit trees. Try Walmart for real bargains; also Home Depot has bare root. Our trees are 3 years old and about to set fruit. The apricot trees are truly beautiful; DH likes apricots.

4. Ourplace tn

Ourplace tn Member

Your 10 "free" trees will arrive in a business size envelope. But we still have one living after 14 years.

5. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

Last week I ordered seedlings from Rock Creek Nursery in Alabama.
    http://www.smurfit-stone.com/content/products/forestresources/nursery/
    The web site tells what they have and has a toll free number to call and order. The guy said they were out of some things because it was late in the year to be ordering. I got 100 yellow poplar seedlings for $24.95 and 100 shumard oak seedlings for $29.99. Shipping was $30.00. They will send you a bill. Got the bill--waiting for the seedlings. By the way this price was cheaper than from the state forestry service.

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Those arbor day trees are no bargains. Not much more than twigs. None of the ones we got survived.

Check at davesgarden.com for the list of good and bad nurseries to buy from

7. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

For some really good healthy stock and not the same old varieties try:

www.raintreenursery.com
    and Fedco Trees (should be in Google) - Fedco has fantastic heirloom fruit trees. love their pears.

Don't forget blueberries, currants, gooseberries, mulberry, elderberry, service berry and persimmons. All good for landscape and eating

Personally, as a nursery owner and specialty grower, I would not buy from Walmart. I often see disease in their stock and many things are labelled incorrectly. This may just be my local experience, but it's enough for me to post a warning.

8. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Actually, before buying the trees buy books:

William Culllina: Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines
    Michael Dirr: Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shurbs: An Illustrated Encyclopedia
    Any of the Taylor Guides are fine.

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

If you're looking for heirloom apple trees, try www.theapplebranch.com. This is a mail-order nursery started by a friend of mine. I have several of his trees and can vouch for the quality of his product.

If you're not sure what varieties you want/need, he'll be happy to help you pick out some that fit your climate and needs. :)

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i dont know arbor day ones live for us we just got some more we are takeing these to ar. to plant

11. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS to you. Where in W VA did you buy? I know others may not agree but I have had great success and been very happy with what I have got from Plantranch on e-bay. My experience was things were a decent size for the price paid and all arrived nice and healthy. I bought early last year. Perhaps those who didn't do as well bought later when his stock was lower and the shipping conditions weren't as good. I potted everything up on arrival and then put them behind some old windows for protection till I could plant them out. If they have Food Lion stores where you are going I got some lovely really big ( 8+') fruit trees there last year. Think they ranged from $14.99- $17.99. Seemed pretty reasonable for trees that size that I could chose from and pay no shipping charges.I visited 3 stores for the best selection.

Good luck and have fun,

PQ