online looters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Gary in ohio, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

2. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

And they call themselves "Americans"??

Just give your dollars directly to the Red Cross.

Lowe's will match in-store donations up to a million dollars.

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty cheap advertising if you ask me. They are getting lots of press and it only cost them $1mill.

4. chas

chas Well-Known Member

The red cross is over rated.People donated for 9/11 and after so much was given out of that money all the rest went into the general fund.
    When I give for a particular catastrophy that's where I exspect it to go!
    I spent a year in about 21 hospitals from Viet Nam to the USA and we kinda made fun of the (starvation army :rolleyes: ) as they brought food and reading material to help cheer us up!But later we found that in time of disaster they where right there giving out FREE items from their limited rescources.And the red cross was charging for the aid workers coffee and things.may have changed tho since the 60 s.The guy at the top skimming funds a couple years ago didn't help either!
    My bucks will go to help the Salvation Army. Close to 100% goes to disaster victims.
    Just my opinion
    Chas
    PS At least Lowes is making it possible to send a couple million to help.At least thats ad money better spent than taking up time between games on t v ;)

5. stubbornmule

stubbornmule Well-Known Member

I know that when I had a total loss house fire on christmas morning the Red Cross were the only ones (besides the firemen) waiting to help us. They really did a really good job providing us with help.

I remember the red cross helping out in the hurricane areas from the beginning. The salvation army also has been meantioned as helping from the beginning.

6. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

chas - I agree with you. NONE of my money goes to the Red Cross - it goes to the Salvation Army.

(As a former Red Cross Disaster Action Team member, I've their stupid little behind-the-scenes games first-hand.)

7. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto on the red cross. There are very bad memories in palm beach going back to the 1928 hurricane. Also my stepfather in the Marines during Korea had nothing good to say about them. The "Starvation Army "has been our charity of choice going back to the first of our marriage. As a resident of South Central FL during the 3 hurricanes last summer, I can tell you that Fema and the Red Cross swooped into town, swanned around for the photo ops and were absolutely useless. The Salvation Army, the Baptists, the Mennonites, LDS- Local people of goodwill-all these were far more effective in bringing relief. In fact, one of the families in Lake Placid stationed themselves down from the red cross tent in Arcadia to help the people who were turned away by them- people who labored in the farms and groves, had little, and lost what little they had. These people turned their business into a staging area for coolection of goods and fed out of state electrical crews.

On of my coworkers is driving a carload of goods to Vero this afternoon. Her church has gotten together with several others across the state to bring donations of food, water, babywipes, formula and diapers to the Gulf area.

I must also say that I have NEVER contributed any baby formula in the past to a relief effort. It is reading Sharon in NY's thoughts on the formula and the disasters that has changed me on this. Thanks, Sharon.

8. CherieOH

CherieOH Well-Known Member Supporter

The Red Cross used to be great, but seem to be missing the mark these days. The Salvation Army has never disappointed me and is my favorite charity.

Don't forget most churches are getting involved as well. All the local churches here have united together as one to raise food, clothing, medical supplies, even pet food and of course money. A couple of trucks of hay are already on the way and a couple more trucks of food and clothing are expected to leave this morning. So call your local churches and give generously!

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I just saw Morgan Freeman (actor, resident of Louisiana or Mississippi). They have set up an e-bay page CHARITY FOLKS where items can be sold there and the money is going for relief to the folks in the effected area. That way if you have something, but not money - you could assist the reconsruction or saving of people.

It will be up for several weeks at least.

This ONLINE LOOTERS may be part of that.

Angie