Onions???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by allenslabs, Aug 7, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Ok just checking to make sure I did it right. I got my onions out today and cut the tops and roots off and washed em..... stuck em in the freezer in a ziplock. Is that what I should have done? What else could I have done w/ them? Thanks!

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I never heard of doing it that way. I usually push the tops over when they start to die back, pull them out of the ground in a week or so, let them dry there for a couple days, cut the roots and tops off, and put them in a mesh bag. I hang the bag in the root cellar.

Wouldn't whole frozen onions be mushy when thawed?

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

You can freeze onions for use in cooking during the winter. Rather than freeze them whole, try chopping them, then freeze them first on an open cookie sheet. That keeps them loose and makes it easy to grab the proper amount to throw in a soup or whatever you are cooking. Once frozen on the cookie sheet, bag them into a ziplock freezer bag or plastic covered container. They do change texture once frozen, so next time you might want to save a few. Store them in a cool place for fresh use.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Once the tops have fallen over I pull them and tie in bunches of about 10 or 12 and hang them to dry.

5. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member