Onions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by doc623, Jul 30, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Any truth the old saying that not to let the August winds or rains fall on your onions?
    In other words does it make any difference if I leave my onions in the garden until the tops no longer have green showing?
    Thanks in advance.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Never heard that one ,But down here they plant onions on Oct. And harvest in May.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Doc, it indeed would make a difference if you left your onions in the ground too long. You could live with the August winds but not the August rains. If the bulbs aren't properly cured, they've got a weak spot and that's the base. The bulbs will rot from the bottom upwards. If the tops have flopped and have dried, the bulbs would be better off out of the ground than in it.

In theory, your onions would last in the ground until frost as long as the soil was almost as dry as dust. But one good rain could ruin the lot. All of mine are out of the ground already. Still had some spoilage with the Ailsa Craigs but everything else spread out to dry in the garden shed right now.

Martin

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me.
    Will take most out and may leave afew in just to experiment and keep track of the ground conditions.
    Thanks

5. If you have removed soil from around the plants so that they would form a big bulb then you may want to remove and cure them out. If they are still buried deep and have not formed bulbs you would be better off to just leave them in the ground. By doing this you could have another batch of green onions growing in your garden this fall and early next spring. I do this quit ofter so I can have green onions 3 times a year. Early spring, late spring, and fall.

6. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

You remove the soil from around to bulb so that the onions will produce a larger bulb? Instead of covering the bulb with more soil?