Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled about 1/2 of our sweet spanish onions that were ready Sunday.

Lay out in full sun, turn over about midday to get a good initial cure.
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Grass family

Then braid and hang in the evening.
Natural foods Plant Twig Fruit Wood

Wife is pressure canning some, canning pickled onions out of some, saving tops for broth, freezing pre battered onion rings also she will be making onion soup to can and freezing some diced.

Got some nice ones over a lb, should make good onion rings👍
Scale Postal scale Wood Measuring instrument Gas

Scale Wood Gas Art Measuring instrument

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤🇺🇸

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
I am soooo jealous!

Reactions: Jenn

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice...a question though. Do you put bulbs in or plant from seed? I put bulbs in and they never seem to fill out. How deep should I be planting them, cover the whole bulb or just bury the root end?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice...a question though. Do you put bulbs in or plant from seed? I put bulbs in and they never seem to fill out. How deep should I be planting them, cover the whole bulb or just bury the root end?
From seed started indoors the middle of January, hardened off outdoors middle of march and set out the garden the beginning of April (I'm in zone 6B). When I set them out I planted so only about 1/4 of the bulb was in the dirt.

Perhaps the most important thing is the seeds. Buy seed from a supplier who has a reputation of producing large onions. Just because the seed pack says a certain variety doesn't mean the "genetics" are there to grow large onions.

As for sets, I've never had much of any success with them. What variety are they? Are they the right onion for my zone? Are they long day, intermediate day or short day? All those questions are unanswered when you place a scoop into a baggie from the store early spring. I stopped try to grow set at least a decade ago and moved to live transplants.

Also as a side note onions are heavy nitrogen feeders with sets you do not fertilize but with transplants you absolutely do fertilize multiple times. I make my own very cheap nitrogen fertilizer, 1 TBS per gallon of water of regular household unscented ammonia. Ammonia is $1.00 per half gallon at dollar general. I apply the 1TBS/gallon of water at a rate of 1 gallon per foot and it works very well.

Here are the fertilization requirements for onion transplants. You may be shocked how much nitrogen is required but it is what it is. I was only able to fertilize twice, should have fertilized six times. But life gets in the way sometimes.

While you are there, have a look around Dixondale web site. So much factual information that's free, I like that. Plus their live onion transplants are reasonably priced. I have the means, to start my own from seed over winter, so that's what I do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 onions yielded a little over 17 1/2 lbs of rings after peeling/cutting and before breading.

We browned 3 battered rings in some hot bacon grease to check if they were any good. They were very good, I'm very happy 😋

We got 7 1/2 big cookie sheet layers separated by wax paper chillin in the deep freezer, I'll bag them tomorrow 😁
Food Ingredient Refrigerator Shelf Kitchen appliance

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
I finally started onions from seed last year, and very pleased with the results. Picked exact types I wanted and main problem was too many seeds since I wanted to try a couple dozen types.Some early sprouted very large bulbs, others not very big- ? too crowded, or unlucky re amount of fertilizer or water it got that part of bed? More than enough green onions,

Reactions: Crealcritter

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I weeded and pulled back the hay mulch from the remaining onions so they don't rot. They need good air flow at this point.

These are the remaining thick neck onions (last to fall over) for storage. Some are still growing and the tops haven't fallen over yet. But they only have until next weekend and I'm going to pull them all, along with the volunteer tomato plants. I need the space for fall/early winter cabbages and brussel sprouts.

Try and use the thin necks first (first to fall over, see my previous posts) because they don't store very long. I'll be really glad when the remaining onions are in braids and hanging for barn rafters to cure for winter use 👍
Plant Grass Groundcover Agriculture Grass family

Plant Groundcover Agriculture Grass Grass family

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally started onions from seed last year, and very pleased with the results. Picked exact types I wanted and main problem was too many seeds since I wanted to try a couple dozen types.Some early sprouted very large bulbs, others not very big- ? too crowded, or unlucky re amount of fertilizer or water it got that part of bed? More than enough green onions,
Keep on going and learn from every season 👍

When you have time, have a look at the Dixondale farms website. I learned so much about growing onions from their website.

I'm with you, the seeds are tiny. It's very hard not to sow any more than 3 or 4, so I just thin to two onions per cell, I sow in 72 cell flats.

Most times after hardening off and by the time it comes to transplanting, it's obvious which one of the two should be planted (The strongest, get transplanted) 👍

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled, cured and braided the remaining thick necks for storage. ThIs concludes this year's garden onion crop, pretty happy with the results. We should be good on onions for a while.

11 braids of Yellow Sweet Spanish
Plant Natural foods Twig Branch Wood

12 braids of White Sweet Spanish
Food Plant Natural foods Root vegetable Vegetable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts