Onions :

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dogo, Mar 30, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any multiplying onions for sell ? I would like to get a start. I think the name of some of them are Egyptians. So please PM me if you have them or know where I might be able to get some . Thanks........

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Now that the snow has melted to reveal what was going on in the Catawissa bed, looks like a few thousand topset bulbils are trying to root. That's after sending about 2 dozen to Finland this morning! Catawissas are Egyptians which usually produce a second tier of bulbils rather than just one.

Anyone want some Catawissas, let me know. I can send 2 ounces in a bubble envelope for .63 postage and .15 for the envelope.

Martin

3. greenhart

greenhart Well-Known Member

Martin,
    Please reserve a few for me. I'll have postage out in tomorrow's mail. Thank you very much.
    Robert (aka greenhart)

4. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I too would be interested in the onion bulblets. Will mail postage tomorrow. Thanks, Rita

5. jamie_here

jamie_here Active Member

My money will be in Saturday's mail, reserve some for me please
    Thanks,
    Jamie

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

The 5 requests which went out today will hopefully find their new homes on Monday, or Tuesday at the latest. Those topset bulbils are alive and growing so we don't need to be stinking up a few post offices if some begin rotting! A few more are drying for those who got in their request too late for today's mailing.

Several have asked how to plant them. To grow Catawissas for multiplying, plant like any other onion set except about 8" spacing. These are going to be big plants and won't appreciate crowding. After those plants have produced their topsets, their bulbs will also divide so don't cheat on that 8" unless you plan on re-working your bed every year. Plant those bulbils with just the tips showing. Many have roots started so try to spread them out like any other seedling. Those Cats are tough but are going to need all the help they can get after their weekend adventure!

Next fall, when planting the bulbils for scallions, then you can plant them just over an inch apart since you'll be pulling the entire plant. There are several growers at our local farmers market who sell the smallest Egyptian topsets mainly for planting for scallions. Nice to see those old type of onions again being appreciated.

Martin

7. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

The local Canadian tire and the Walmart both have multiplier onions this year. Perhaps you have something similar nearby?

8. greenhart

greenhart Well-Known Member

Martin,
    The Catawissa onions arrived today. Thank you
    Robert (aka greenhart)

9. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Mr. Martin, I sent you some postage to-day and I truly thank you . I hope to have the onions for some time, once started .

10. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

Martin,

I received your package today, postage will be in tomorros mail.

Thanks

11. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Got mine today! Thanks, they're in the ground!

12. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Mr. Martin, received the onions this morning, I am pampering them . Each one has its on cup of potting soil, later to be put in a permanent place . Thanks ........Dan.....aka ......dogo