Onions - Storage

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by TexasAggie, May 17, 2017 at 10:42 PM.

1. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Well-Known Member

amazon has lined bags to keep out sunlight for storing onions. Do any people here use them?

2. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Tater storage needs dark, never worried all that much about onions. They need air circulation or they will mold and rot. Paper bag and mesh bags work well.

3. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Well-Known Member

Can these be stored hanging from a rack in a garage that is generally closed except when leaving or returning.

4. arrocks

arrocks Well-Known Member

If you aren't concerned about all the auto emissions normally found in a garage or any fumes from any chemicals stored there. In other words, its not a good idea to store food in a garage. ;-)

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

They will probably last longer if kept in the house where the temperature and humidity doesn't fluctuate as much. The old fashioned way to store them was to pull them out of the ground and leave the tops attached. The tops were then braided together and the bunches hung on a nail by a doorway.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Xq/9xNtD&id=1526058F0315D4889D46B5724030B6D025ABDEDB&thid=OIP.Xq_9xNtDlGQqysJSo1TwRwEsDn&q=braided+onions&simid=608032427014491639&selectedIndex=1[​IMG]
    http://www.thegardenerseden.com/?p=12769

6. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

I agree, as long as it a toxic environment it would work if you keep mid 40s to mid 50s for temps. Make sure you are using hard storage onions for that. Sweet onions in general don't store as well. Wish they did. I do so love southern grown sweet onions. I don't buy imported ones.