Onions sprouting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by sullen, Apr 24, 2005.

1. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I am new to gardening...I have about 2 dozen yellow onions that I never used this winter because they were too small, (like a pearl onion) and now they are sprouting. Can I plant them? Most are about an inch tall, green coming out like a chive. If I can't plant them are they good for anything besides target practice?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Sure, you can plant them. Consider them as over-sized sets. However, don't expect to get a larger onion from them. As soon as they have produced 3 or 4 leaves, they will produce a seed stalk. That's not what you want. So, eat them as scallions/green onions as soon as they've reached eating size.

Martin

3. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

Plant those babies!!!

One way to TRY to prevent the seed stalk from forming is to keep them well blanched and bend over the leaves, keeping them bent by wrapping a rubber band around them.

One other thing I've done is to keep the tops cut off about 3 - 4 inches above the ground.

These tips do NOT always work, but I've used both with a little bit of success.

Sue

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I was hoping to get a larger onion out of them, they are yellow onions, after all. But I will try all the suggestions put forth. Thanks!

5. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

I have some onions that sat in the ground all winter, started them too late,
    now that the wether has gotten warm I've started to fertilize them and
    I see groth on the onion part. I don't really know much about onions but
    I guess it never hurts to try.

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You can also put the bottoms of the scallions back in the garden and they will grow a new onion.