Onion plants in short supply this year

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mommagoose_99, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I just got an email from Dixondale farms saying that some varieties of onion plants are in limited supply. Orders will be filled on a first come first served basis. I order my onion plants from them so I hurried ans ordered today. You can find ther catalog on line if you are interested. The bad weather in the south is being blamed for the shortage of seedlings.
    Linda

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Another of their problems is success. Dixondale Farms are the best in the business of onion plants. They not only supply a great many individual gardeners but large companies as well. I was getting plants from them at least 15 years ago when onion plants were uncommon. Now gardeners are finding that it's the only way to get many of the better varieties. Dixondale used one of my quotes in their 2002 or 2003 catalog when I compared First Edition with Copra. I still buy their plants but from a local garden center who in turn gets them from Dixondale. I'm looking forward to trying their new Red Bull since there aren't many red onions noted for long-keeping.

www.dixondalefarms.com

Martin

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta love a place that has Lancelot Leeks! (Does anyone else remember that kiddie show "Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp" that used to be on Saturday mornings?)

Looking over their site, though, I can't find anything that indicates how many onions are in a bunch? Anyone here know?

Thanks,
    Pony!

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

It's a minimum or 60. The lowest actual count that I can recall was probably around 75 with some as high as 100. However, if Dixondale is potentially going to run short, they may stick closer to the 60.

Martin

5. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I used to buy my onion plants from Piedmont Plant company in Georgia for about 15 years. I switched to Dixondale 3 years ago after Piedmont closed. The product seems to be very good so far. I was very dissapointed that Sweet Sandwich is not even in the catalog this year:( It is a very good mild long storing onion. I ordered some extra Copras to make up for it.
    Linda