Onion bulbs in raised bed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by motivated, Nov 4, 2006.

1. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I just started raised beds. They are now covered with straw on top of the other layers. I folded back the straw and planted 80 each of red and yellow onions. Then I covered it back with the straw on top. The directions said to plant oct-nov I think this area is a zone 7. When would I expect onions to be ready? Will I have to uncover them? Sorry but I have never grown these or started something in the fall. We get snow and temps down to the teens here.
    Thanks in advance.
    motivated

2. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Motivated;Onions are day length sensitive.They will not bulb up until next summer.What you need to be concerned with is if they are Long Day,Short Day or Day Length Neutral.Long day onions will Not bulb in CA.-

3. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Gulp
    I threw away the bag :shrug: I guess its back to Home Depot to read one.
    Thanks

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you purchased them in California, and with instructions to plant in Oct-Nov, they are sweet types mainly grown in the South during the winter months. Their growth peak and harvest would be around mid-March in Zones 7-9. If such a planting were attempted in colder zones, they would be quite apt to bolt to seed before maturing.

Those onions are not normally covered with mulch but it would not hurt them to have it between the rows. Also, a few nights with temps in the teens plus snow are not enough to hurt them. Onions do not have a lot of leaf area and thus need as much sunlight as they can get. With that, I would not mulch with more than an inch thick over the bulbs.

Martin