Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was one of those days of mind-numbing projects. I’m talking about one of those projects you do while you meditate and pray. I was putting in a brick pathway to accentuate my front yard, as well as to make my vegetable garden and my flower gardens look even more scenic.

Since COVID-19, I had a lot of time on my hands, as I was to be furloughed until at least the beginning of May. The opportunity was plentiful and awaiting my full attention.

My front yard slopes to my driveway, providing a challenge when it comes to laying bricks. One really has to dig a trench at just the right angle to get the brick to fit right. Well, that is true for me, an amature brick-layer, anyways. Some of these bricks still wiggled slightly even after trying everything I thought of. Then I thought of something very simple that could just very well do the trick. I put one stone in the crack between stones to keep them secure.

It’s amazing how something so small and simple could make such an impact on the foundation of something much bigger.
I thought about how symbolic that stone really was.

How many times do we have the opportunity to be that one small stone? How many times do we have the opportunity to wedge ourselves into the fixtures of situations in our lives, to create a greater change and a more stable environment for the world around us? I know I have. Sometimes I neglect to become that stone, out of fear or comfortability in my own little bubble. How often it is that we look for others to become the small stone so that we can stay safely in the ground, unturned, untouched, unnoticed.

When we homestead, or live off grid, the whole point is to live in a secluded state of self sufficiency. I know that’s my goal. But we can still all find ways to create a better world, a better atmosphere. When we have extra flour, we can bake some extra biscuits for our friends, neighbors, or those a little down on their luck. When we make eye contact with others, a simple hello and a wave can make all the difference to a person emotionally wavering. Calling someone on the phone, donating to a community cause or a neighbor, taking an extra trip into town for someone can all be something so small that can cause a huge ripple.

One person standing up for what they believe, one person speaking out against what is wrong, one person refusing to accept what’s less than acceptable, just one person making an effort in this crazy messed up world; that is the stone that holds up the whole brick walkway.

If one stone can make such an impact, imagine what a whole pile of rocks can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,436 Posts
I have laid a lot of pavers. I like the look of bricks and rocks. Getting them just right is an art with flagstones and flat rocks. Brick patterns can be quite intricate in the right hands.

I have to admit I never was as reflective, or as inspired as you while doing the stone work. That is a nice post, and welcome to HT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have laid a lot of pavers. I like the look of bricks and rocks. Getting them just right is an art with flagstones and flat rocks. Brick patterns can be quite intricate in the right hands.

I have to admit I never was as reflective, or as inspired as you while doing the stone work. That is a nice post, and welcome to HT[/QUOTE

thank you so much! Not the first time I’ve had an experience such as this

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thank you for this post.
And your path looks nice.
What county in nh? Reason is, I'm by the border of that live free or die state
:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts