Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here it is. One of the many reasons I believe Ebola is so frightening/scary.

This is the beginning of cold/flu season. Here are the "symptoms" of the flu.

Flu symptoms include:
A 100oF or higher fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
A cough and/or sore throat.
A runny or stuffy nose.
Headaches and/or body aches.
Chills.
Fatigue.
Nausea, vomiting, and/or diarrhea (most common in children)

Now, what if someone was exposed to Ebola and didn't know it!

Here are the symptoms of Ebola

Fever
Severe headache
Muscle pain
Weakness
Diarrhea
Vomiting

Abdominal (stomach) pain
Unexplained hemorrhage (bleeding or bruising)

See any similarities?

·
Registered
229 Posts
And this is why it's such a potential disaster that it's hit us now. So many people are going to have the flu, and they'll be convinced they have ebola. So they'll swarm the hospitals and doctor's office even more than usual. And some of those people, if you look at the exposure numbers and the lax security on incoming flights, are going to have ebola and not know it. They'll think it is the flu and either ignore it until it gets so bad they have to go in, thereby exposing more people, or the medical system that will be overwhelmed already will miss them and send them home. Disaster waiting to happen.

I wonder - if you already have a compromised immune system thanks to having a cold or the flu or whatever, does that make you more susceptible to ebola?

·
Registered
423 Posts
What bothers me most is:

Oboma and all the other "government" reps keep saying.. "Don't panic, we got this"

Now show me one time it has been proven they were telling the truth and I'll point out 40 times they weren't...

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I was thinking the same thing last night...how many people are going to think it is the flu and it is Ebola.

Every time I read an article on Ebola I am reminded of the movie Outbreak...

·
Registered
229 Posts
What bothers me most is:

Oboma and all the other "government" reps keep saying.. "Don't panic, we got this"

Now show me one time it has been proven they were telling the truth and I'll point out 40 times they weren't...
What was it Reagan always said: Scariest words in the English language were "I'm from the gov't, and I'm here to help." Something like that? Yeah.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If ebola does become a major pandemic in America, there isn't the capacity to individually quarantine a large number of people and give the kind of treatment the first patients here have had. People showing symptoms of the flu would likely be mixed in at health centers with some who really do have ebola and likely get infected with it anyways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So with this said, would you get a flu shot? I have never believed in flu shots. I don't plan on getting a flu shot. I hope I don't regret that decision!
I would not and do not get the flu shot. The active strain of the flu changes often so every year a new flu vaccine has to be made by scientists guessing what they think the next active strain will be, and they're almost always wrong. People vaccinate themselves for a strain of the flu that usually is not even active, so it does them no good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've only had the flu once in over 25 years, put me in bed for 10 days flat on my back. That was back in the 80's. Swore I'd never go through that again and started getting the flu shot every year since. I also get a pneumonia shot but that's only once every 5 years. And Medicare pays for both, costs me nothing.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I read a medical report explaining that they GUESS on which flu will be making the rounds and that's what they put in the flu shots. Every now and then they might guess right, but usually they guess wrong. Why bother to get a controversial shot with dangerous stuff in it that probably will do nothing to help anyway?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I am not taking the flu shot. I have had 3 flu shots. I did not have good results with any of them.
Shot 1: 5 days after admitted to the hospital with pneumonia.
Shot 2: 9 days later ICU
Shot 3: next day hospitalized for (unexplained) lung infection. That was what the doctors called it. Never did get a straight answer that time.

My neurologist said no more. Which I had already decided I wasnt getting any more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts