One HARD TEAT - What's the deal??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I bought a new Nubian with two 5 month old doelings on her. They are still nursing a bit (yeah, I know). Anyway, her udder is so lopsided and I was trying to get a closer look and I noticed that the side that is shrunk has a dimple on the top of the teat, close to where the teat meets the udder. So, I reached down to feel the teat and it is hard, like there is something solid inside it. Is this just because they aren't sucking off that side and it is trying to dry up or what? I am a bit concerned. I don't think this is normal, is it? I think I should probably separate the doelings from Momma. Please help me with the teat issue. I don't know what to think. I'm still learning something new almost every day!! Thanks for your help.

2. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Mastitis would be my guess. Is it warm to the touch? If it is mastitis she will need "Today" or some equivilant and possibly a trip to the vet, for some heavy duty antibiotics. Today is a prepackaged syringe that you inject into the teat thru the milk duct opening. It should be at your local farm/ranch store. When inserting the syringe, just the tip of it goes into the teat. It's probably a good idea to have someone help you hold the doe - make sure she is on the milk stand. I am sorry, but I can't tell you how many treatments to give her before it should be clear. I had to do this once, but the infection was too far along for it to do any good.

If it is not mastitis it may be old scar tissue from a previous case. I hope some more experienced goat owners reply to your thread. How ever you may search thru this site and come up with enough info to get you headed in the right direction. This is a great site. We were all new to this once, and we've asked alot of questions, and we're still asking. :)

Good Luck,
    Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

3. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Iwould suggest maybe doing some research on mastitis also. I have never had to deal with it, but had a friend who's goat got it. Massive antibiotics, but she still cannot breed anymore. sad. So don't wait too long.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

This may help you out..

Mastitis in Dairy Goats

Signs: Mastitis - inflammation of the udder, almost always associated with germs Misery, udder hot, hard and very tender, appetite lost, pupils of eyes narrowed to slits
    Good Luck. :)

5. goat^farmer

goat^farmer Well-Known Member

Ye sounds like Mastitis to me also. You need to get them kids off that doe and start treating her for it. If you are sure it is that. Mastitis is nothing to fool around with.

Get the kids off that doe NOW because you can not treat her because the kids are nursing & they will nurse the meds right out of it. If the kids been nursing on both side it will be spreaded to the other side. Normal mastitas is treatable if caught quick early enough. It can spread though if the kid nurses the hard side & then goes to the clean side it can pass on their mouth. If their nursing one side they may just need to milk that one might be the problem. If its mastitas though the tubes of today with 1 cc gentamicin added in is what you need to get.

GL.