one day milk tests

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I am wondering how hard it is for a nigerian doe to get her star from one day milk testing. My brother and I both have does that their dams were *4M and *5M milkers. I read over what it takes to quailify, but not even sure I understand the requirements. I especially do not know how to calculate the butterfat into points. I think the nigerians have to score 35 points to recieve a star. Not sure who is qualified to do the tests and how hard it would be to take this training? Can it be done on line?

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

The only one day milk tests I've participated in have been at ADGA shows. I do participate in milk testing at home, with several other ADGA members in my area. I had to go to a class that took a few hours, have my scale certified, and then we take turns at each other's home weighing the milk. The fat content was done at the lab. Yahoo has ADGA groups by district, you can find out who in your area will be participating through that list, or thought the yahoo nigerian list.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You have to find a milk tester who has taken the test, they can not have animals being tested at your farm or show for the milktest. Do nigerians have to milk what the full sized goats do to earn a star? ADGA has a one day milking test phamphlet which would answer all your questions. Short answer is you get soo many points for her age, how many lactations, how long she has been in milk this lactation, protein, amount of milk and butterfat scores...if this all adds up to 35 you get the star. You can have this test at your own farm, but you do have to openly invite anyone who wants to come...honestly how they would find out is beyond me if you don't tell anyone :) For those who don't have the money or don't milk for 10 months or the stamina (because those stars should really be given to the owner for keeping up with DHIR for 10 months :)) one day milk tests at your farm or at shows are a very good way of getting a star if it's important to sales. Vicki

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I will check with ADGA on the requirements for Nigerians and also see if there is anyone in our district that does these test also. There maybe also classes that might be close enough in our area that we might could also attend. Thanks again.