Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh so i need to make some changes in my daily schedule and morning ritual. in the morning I'm heading in a different direction, plus my buddy is no longer around to stop and have a cup and shoot the breeze with, so I need a new morning coffee ritual.

I really enjoy my coffee in the AM but 1-1/2 cups is my limit.

How do you make the perfect cup?

Perc.
Drip?
Instant?
Fresh ground?
Brand name?
K cup?
Turkish?
Cowboy?

If I'm going to enjoy it by myself, I want the very best cup i can get/make, I don't are for highly acidic, extremely strong, or super dark roast, so tell me how you make the best cup of Joe?? I have time in the morning and will spurge a bit for the taste if i need to. What say you coffee drinkers?

·
newfieannie
9,654 Posts
I have one cup a day. Our Finest freeze dried. 7 or so dollars for a medium bottle. that's a no no here I think but it tastes perfect to me. I add coffee cream and a pinch of sugar. sometimes a T rum or whatever I have. I have a coffee pot and when I have guests they make their own. never been able to do it properly myself. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I'm a dark roast kind of coffee drinker myself. I do have a coffee bean grinder and drip coffee maker. For a mellow not bitter bean, Ethiopian Harrar is good. Much lighter I've found than a dark roast. Pricey but I get a discount at my food co-op. Coffee is the best part of my morning. Definitely experiment and find something you really enjoy. I like my drip coffee maker, pushing a button in the morning is about all I can manage.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I don't know how you've been used to making coffee, but
for just one mug full I've gone to using k cups using fresh
ground beans. I like to mix dark roast ( something like Yukon blend or Italian roast) with medium ( like columbian supreme). Using clear tasteless good quality water is important for best taste and reduce bitterness.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
I like my coffee to to be coffee flavored--no added flavors for me.
I like real cream or 1/2 & 1/2--but I'm getting used to the fat free stuff that's diet friendly.
I like real sugar--been using Splenda, again because it's diet friendly.

So I reeeealy enjoy it when I get a cup of joe, light and sweet from Dunkin Donuts--not diet friendly but a good splurge. LOL

At home I use a drip maker with medium roast. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have to have my folgers classic roast, drip, every morning and after supper. I add sugar and non dairy creamer.
But, it HAS to be made with my spring water at my house. My mom next door has city water and if I eat at her house, even if she makes coffee, I will run home and make my own lol. It just isn't the same.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Usually use the Folger's single coffee bags for the first cup in the morning. It's easy to prepare and clean up. Oftentimes I eat out for breakfast at the local watering hole, and their coffee is made in one of the drip machines. Tastes fine to me. In a pinch or while I'm travelling, I'll use instant or freeze dried. I do need a cup in the morning, and I'll not be too picky about the taste.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I got a small one cup French press at Home Goods a couple of years ago and that makes a great cup of coffee, although you do have to wait for it.
Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Wyndham-House...175&sr=8-8&keywords=single+serve+french+press

I also just picked up a drip thing that fits over the mug so I put in a filter, the coffee and then pour the water in. It's essentially a one-cup drip coffee maker.
This one is what I got: http://store.starbucks.com/starbuck...2,default,pd.html?start=2&navid=coffee-makers

If you have the money, you can get a Keurig but I don't think it makes the best coffee.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
Before I tamed my heavy coffee addiction, someone suggested I just put a load of espresso coffee in an IV bag, and get it over with... :facepalm:

I love drip coffee, but will gladly chew on a coffee bean if I have to...

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I like Nescafe Clasico. The trick is to not use too much. I got hooked on it when I lived in Mexico. I lived and traveled in some pretty remote areas and lots of times Nescafe was all that was available. LOL....when I'd insist on brewed coffee and they didn't have it I'd see them put a pot of water on to boil and add Nescafe to it!

If you prefer something non-instant my vote is for a coffee press.

If you want the very finest cup of coffee you will ever have in your life you will have to travel to Coatepec, Veracruz Mexico. It is a major coffee producing area and as you walk down the street you are constantly smelling coffee roasting. After a little while I couldn't stand it and I'd stop at a sidewalk cafe and have a cup. Of course you have to have some sweet bread or flan with it :thumb:

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
I have a percolator, French press, and a Mister Coffee, The press makes the best cup, but MC is faster. The only requirement I have for a good cup, is I like it strong, and with caffeine. I limit myself to two cups every morning

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I only drink one cup in the morning, once in a while two - so it has to be perfect.

I use a funnel that fits over the cup, coffee filter and 1/4 cup fresh ground french roast. Drip boiling water slowly over grounds letting the funnel fill halfway but no more while your continue to drip 'til your cup's full. kickstart!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
If I only want one cup, I used a pour through cone filter that fits on top of my mug. If I want a whole pot, I use a 6 cup size pour through cone filter over a thermos jug. I don't like electric pots of any kind -- I've never found one that could match the taste of a manual pour through filter. A French coffee press makes excellent coffee, but I don't like cleaning them. The filter is easier.
I don't roast my coffee, but I do grind the beans about twice a week. For the very best, I think you are supposed to grind them right before brewing, but I'm too lazy to do that each morning.

·
Super Moderator
13,689 Posts
I use my 10 cup 1960s stainless steel perk pot my parents gave me with other cast off cookware they had when I first moved out on my own , much of which I still have in service over 30 years later.

I grind my own Arabica beans, add 5 heaping scoops with a dash of salt to counteract the bitterness factor.

As the coffee perks and adds aroma to my house I let my Stanley thermos charge with boiling water.

When the coffee has finished perking I enjoy a couple cups and then put the remaining eight in the thermos to enjoy during the rest of the day in between the cups of café coffee I have during the day while taking meals and breaks with the other pit row crawlers of the rat race.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Using a thermos to hold extra coffee is a must in our house!! My husband will brew up a whole pot and have two cups then he can have another cup in the afternoon and a final cup after dinner. Yes, he uses big cups. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Wow, trying to wrap my head around one cup a day. I drink folgers classic roast, half cup grounds per 10 cups water.
I usually drink Walmart brand any more, their red lable vacuum packed bricks taste very close to folgers. I'm on my second pot so far today, just filled my thermos to take to work with me. When i get home from work will have another pot made to take deer hunting with me, then another pot after supper.

One pot perfectly fills my travel mug and thermos bottle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts