Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the grocery store on Sunday. It was the first time in about a week. Here was my list:

Flour
Garlic
Butter

Why was it so short?! Because everything I've needed in the last two weeks has come from the freezer, the pantry or the garden and I can only see it getting better and better. :dance: This has been a goal of ours we are right now producing much of our own food. AND I finally have local sources for honey, meat and eggs. We eat venison about 2 times a week, but need to suplement with chicken (wishing for our very own) and pork. A meat market just opened in town and they get their meat locally! Egg lady lives on the road over and she has a great price of $1.00 / dozen because she has so many she just wants to get rid of them. The honey guy is my neighbor. Now I just have to figure out what trades I can make for their products.

Menu planning helps with this and so does knowing what's in the pantry.

Thanks for letting me celebrate. Christine, taking those babysteps to a self-sufficent food suply.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Congratulations - A great effort!

When are you planting the garlic?

Shin

·
living at 6800 feet
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shinsan,

Why this fall of course! LOL. Honestly though, I tried my first year gardening in '05 and got it in to late. So I've been concentrating on things that i'm more organized for. However, now that I think about it for real....we are putting in a fall garden for the first time. Add garlic to the list!

:walk:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow ! That is so wonderful ! I know you must be very proud. Good job.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
Good for you!!!!!
We had a big breakfast Sunday of fresh eggs, homemade bread and bacon from our own pig- only thing bought was the butter! (oh and the flour and salt and yeast and stuff for the bread:))
Feels GREAT, want to grow and produce more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts