Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's CBS talking to a single mom who earns enough money that she does not qualify for SNAP and yet laments that the temporary child tax boost that expired in December will force her to have to skip meals in order to feed her kids. She wants them to continue the payments because she says it is important for her and others to provide for their kids 'on their own'. Does she not realize by taking taxpayer money, she is not doing it on her own? The requirements for snap allow a pretty decent income to qualify depending on how many kids you have, so she has a pretty good income. Would any of us not eat better if someone gave is $300 a month?

Families face budget strain as monthly child tax credit checks stop - YouTube

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,151 Posts
Yep. The left knows that once a person gets a freeby, he/she never wants to give it up; so they vote Democrat.

There's going to be some major income tax issues this year. All of those "stimulus" advance tax refunds that we got will reduce any refund that we normally get.

Some may have to pay---even though they normally get a refund (if their advance refund exceeded their remaining refund).

Reactions: Pony and poppy

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Have you noticed how few cookbooks are written today about cooking when you have nothing to cook?
I'll bet the woman being interviewed has never sat down to a meal of "Dish Rag Stew".
Font Book Publication Paper product Paper

Food Apple pie Ingredient Recipe Steak and kidney pie

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer to the following, just an observation.
Which scenario would you be more inclined to stop and help-
A. Someone pulled onto the shoulder of the road, sitting in their car with the windows up and their flashers blinking?
B. Someone behind their car along the shoulder of the road, pushing it?

·
Saltine American
7,370 Posts
A few years ago a local school announced that they would stop providing breakfast for students. Most complaints on social media were about having to get up earlier to feed their kids.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
^the opposite just happened here, they started supplying breakfast and lunch to anyone who wants it, free.
Breakfast is often sugary cereals, canned sugary fruit or pop tarts. Total brain food, right?

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,151 Posts
Around here (Mississippi) the government has been forced to continue feeding kids during the Covid "stay at home" period. The school bus that normally hauled kids deliver meals to those kids' houses.

No kid should be in school hungry evolves into taking the kids to raise.

(I was in school hungry for most of my early life without a government feeding program, but I somehow survived.)

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer to the following, just an observation.
Which scenario would you be more inclined to stop and help-
A. Someone pulled onto the shoulder of the road, sitting in their car with the windows up and their flashers blinking?
B. Someone behind their car along the shoulder of the road, pushing it?
We have stopped to help in both situations, before cell phones. Now if the driver in car A is on the phone or busy texting I would figure they are either taking an emergency call or have the situation under control.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
That's my neighbor.
On every welfare roll around.
No job.
Bunch of trashy riff raff around.
Nasty house and filthy trash filled yard.
Plain scum.
[/QU
Around here (Mississippi) the government has been forced to continue feeding kids during the Covid "stay at home" period. The school bus that normally hauled kids deliver meals to those kids' houses.

No kid should be in school hungry evolves into taking the kids to raise.

(I was in school hungry for most of my early life without a government feeding program, but I somehow survived.)
We had the school bus food bags too. It started with you drove to the school to pick it up each day. Then once a week. Then to school bus.

·
Saltine American
7,370 Posts
The Cartersville Ga. paper runs an article at the beginning of each summer about the summer feeding program. Any child up to the age of 18 (I think) or disabled can go to the school for free meals. They also haul kids to school to be fed in the summer.

It's part of the USDA program.
I refer to it as the BID program.
Barefoot
Ignorant
Dependant

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's CBS talking to a single mom who earns enough money that she does not qualify for SNAP and yet laments that the temporary child tax boost that expired in December will force her to have to skip meals in order to feed her kids. She wants them to continue the payments because she says it is important for her and others to provide for their kids 'on their own'. Does she not realize by taking taxpayer money, she is not doing it on her own? The requirements for snap allow a pretty decent income to qualify depending on how many kids you have, so she has a pretty good income. Would any of us not eat better if someone gave is $300 a month?

Families face budget strain as monthly child tax credit checks stop - YouTube
You understand that it makes no difference either way to tax payer money, right? They're just getting monthly installments instead of a once a year tax credit like it's been since 1997.

This is like saying "Sorry you have children, but you need to wait til April to get a lump sum so you can buy groceries with it for the next year like it's always been before."

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You understand that it makes no difference either way to tax payer money, right? They're just getting monthly installments instead of a once a year tax credit like it's been since 1997.

This is like saying "Sorry you have children, but you need to wait til April to get a lump sum so you can buy groceries with it for the next year like it's always been before."
That is another thing. A lot of those people do not understand that and I had 2 of them argue with me that it was not true. How many sad stories will we see on tv before long lamenting about how the yearly child tax credit they count on at tax time won't be coming this year? Anyway, if they extended it now, would they not complain in 6 months that it expired again? You know full well they would. That would use up their tax credit for next year, and then what about the last six months of the year?

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I have had neighbors that asked to borrow the battery out of my car, asked me to milk their cow, but here is a new one. We are getting snow. My driveway is the worst in the neighborhood. Neighborhoods drive their car over to borrow my snow shovel! I said I dont have one you borrowed it. Now they are stuck. Slowly I close the kitchen door. They cant get back up my hill. Oh dear Oh my what will they do now.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Sat here for an hour rethinking what I could have said to my neighbors Nextdoor
Sure I lent it to my neighbors nextdoor.
Sure let me run next-door to get it back.
Im sorry for being mean... No I not at all.
Oh and on top of that. The community mayor (who we pay for plowing the main road)called to ask me if i was going to plow like i did last year. ( last year my out of state son hired a plow so the ambulance could get in to me with covid). I said no. She said Oh well if we get more than 6 inches she will have it plowed once the snow stops. Good to know
Im becoming a cynicaloldwitch

·
Premium Member
30,047 Posts
Sometimes you just have to stop being a patsy. People who borrowed your shovel and left you without one deserve to get stuck in the snow. Karma got them stuck in your drive which is pretty funny. If you are paying someone to plow the road, they should do the job they are paid to do. Expecting you to plow the road so they can keep the money and not to the work is a jerk move.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Sometimes you just have to stop being a patsy. People who borrowed your shovel and left you without one deserve to get stuck in the snow. Karma got them stuck in your drive which is pretty funny. If you are paying someone to plow the road, they should do the job they are paid to do. Expecting you to plow the road so they can keep the money and not to the work is a jerk move.
I towed it out today. Went out to just warm the rover up, hadn't been driving much. Anyway drive up to the main road that meets my driveway and sure enough they plowed me in. Few runs and busted a track. Went hooked up the neighbors car and up and out she went. Just dropped it a the first plowed pull off.
Car Snow Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

1 - 19 of 19 Posts