once a day milking

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Oct 18, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I am trying to move my girl to milking just in the evening -- but I want to make sure I am doing it right.... I'm cutting back grain at both feedings and not milking all the way out in the morning.... she grazes/browses in the day and had alfalfa at night...

should I change anything? :shrug:

On another note - can goats get a cold from going out in the rain to ate -- they had grass hay access... I have noticed a cough a few different times while she was eating and then at night eating her hay...... but this afternoon when I was out with them she was fine..... :shrug:

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I am moving to morning milking only. They simply don't get grain at night because they are not coming up onto the milkstand evenings. In the morning they get the normal amount of grain they get all mornings. Alfalfa pellets in the barn are a constant it never changes, as are minerals and water. When I go to dry them they don't come up on the milkstand anymore so no grain in the morning either.

I only feed my milkers grain on the milkstand, so this works for me. Vicki

3. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I milked once a day. I didn't get the capacity the doe was capable of, but I did do decently. I don't know about going from 2 to 1 as I started at one.

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

my two little ones (mia and Jasper) ended up outside in a rain storm just the other day. Mia was coughing when I put her in the shed - I put vetrx in her nose, made sure she and Jasper were dryed off. The next day she was fine. :) Goats do fine out in the rain most of the time, it is the wind and sleet rain that will put them under the weather.

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

When I go from twice a day to once it is because they have dropped of in the quantity because of the heat in our summer...so like Vicki I stop the grain in the mornings cos they dont go on the stand and just feed grain at night in the cool of the evening.

6. PygmyLover

I just read my post and boy does it sound like let me goats stay out in the rain all the time! oops. I actualy was very upset that they got left out and worried about them and kept checking on them.

Wanted to clarify that.

7. christij

So do I just stop milking in the morning all together? And just go to the evening? Or do I give her some pellets and just release pressure? Can you tell I am a newbie!

Pygmy Lover -- I didn't think that at all. Mine had shelter but she just choose a few times to go out into the rain. I dried her on the stand --- the two little boys were pretty dry when I went to dry them.

8. PygmyLover

wel how much is she giving right now? A ton or just a small amount? In gallons or quarts please I am not good with the lbs.

That will make a difference on how to switch her over to once a day milking.

9. christij

Little under a quart a milking. I have been cutting back on the feed and that's when she went under a quart.

So you think the Vetrx will take care of the little cough?

10. PygmyLover

you can try it in its nose - just a few drops - can't hurt.

I think you can cut out the morning milking now and keep her at her current grain ration. She will be fine.

11. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

We do this nearly every year. Once the milk supply is dropping off, we go to once daily milking, then dry them off 2 months before kidding for each doe. If we were on test or milking commercially, I'd be pushing for more production, but with just the two of us, and not feeding extra livestock off the milk at this point, it's easier to milk once a day, and we still get adequate milk for our needs. We just stop milking morning and evening and go to a once daily afternoon schedule. We get more milk in that one milking at first, but supply and demand kicks in pretty fast to decrease the amount of milk the doe gives. With the quart or so per milking that you are getting now, you will probably see nearly 2 quarts on the first few daily milkings, but it should drop down in a week or so, depending on the goat.

Next year I should have a couple does trying for their star milker status, so things might be a little different around here, but for now, it's working for us.

12. christij

Emily, are you okay with my other gal going just to the evenings then too? Jay is going to be going out of town that week we bring her home! Saturday afternoon work for pick-up?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, Saturday afternoon should be fine. That would be the 28th, right??
    She will still be on twice a day milking but as all mine are steadily dropping in production, you can swing to once a day milking right away for her too. It won't hurt a thing. Especially as the move will make her drop production at the outset anyway.
    Got the kitties for you to look at too..... :)