On week 2 and can't dump the headache!

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by valschickens, May 5, 2006.

1. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

Hi all! I started a WW-based diet with a low-carb twist last week. I'm counting points (24-31) but avoiding the "whites." Would you believe within ONE WEEK I lost 9 POUNDS!! I know it's all liquids, but I'll STILL take it!! :clap:

Unfortunately, I have had one of those tiny headaches that require ibu because it's annoying. It travels all over, so there's not one particular area. I know it's not sinus, and have been chalking it up to my body getting used to eating healthy. But I'm getting rather concerned over too many ibu's!

Has anybody suffered with one this long? And when did it eventually fade away?

Val

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Are you drinking lots of water?

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i second the water idea. being a little dehydrated gives the the kind of headache you describe. other fluids aren't as effective as water. every bodily process depends on it to work right.

4. valschickens

A gallon a day. I've been filling up a Tupperware pitcher at night and refrigerating it for the next day now for years. I try to eat every 2-3 hours (carrots, fruit, pretzels, etc. for snacks) and eat some protein with each meal. I don't drink caffeine at all.

Maybe it's because I've lost so much so fast? (even tho I'm within points) :shrug:

5. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

are you slightly hypoglacemic? (SP) You might have been managing your blood sugars for quite some time with out knowing it, with carbs when you feel tired?

Did you cut caffeine on this new diet?

Only things I can think of, sorry. Good luck.

6. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Before you started your diet were the white foods (High sugar/bad carbs) a big part of your diet??

You may just be having a sugar withdrawal of some sort. Although I can't imagine why it would last this long.

9 pounds in one week is a lot. Are you following the other WW basic fundamentals (oils, dairy, fruits and veggies) daily?

Jill

7. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Whoa! Maybe that's too much water!

8. valschickens

I cut caffeine a long time ago.

BUT, I am a heavy "white zin" drinker! I can pound down a few liters in no time without a problem. I am not bragging....trust. It's a lifestyle I've grown up with...not exactly proud of...but it's my life. I would like to change that and that's why I'm where I'm at.

Having said that, it could be withdrawals. On top of the weight loss. I'm not what you would call an alcoholic where I need rehab tho.

When I eat carbs, I [DO/] think I get tired. I can eat a bagel for breakfast, and suddenly I need to go back to bed! But, I can drink 2 cups of coffee and feel the same.....so go figure!

Thanks for your help, Cindy! :)

Val

9. valschickens

Hi Jill!

The only "white foods" I can say that were high would be my consumption of wine. And, of course, my taste had to go with "white" zinfandel!! :grit: It's like I'm addicted....dammit!

But I've cut that down to only weekends. Otherwise, yes, I'm consuming what WW recommends for daily use in the other categories.

Thanks for responding Jill! And congrats on your own loss! (I've been reading)

Val

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

You sound like me!

Except I'm skinny as a rail.
    Hypoglycemia maybe? I wish I had the answers! I'm experimenting with vitamins now, major B's.
    What kind of vitamins are you taking?

Headaches can also be caused by weather changes or seasonal allergies. Have you thought about those things?

11. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Oh !!!

It just occured to me !
    After I had surgery once I was on Ibuprophen. They cause the WORST withdrawl. [ A headache withdrawl ]
    Try taking aspirin for that headache instead and wean yourself off the ibu slowly.
    I took me about 1 1/2 wks to wean myself off of Ibu ! No kidding !

12. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

I am not a wine drinker -- except on occasion.

But I love beer. Other than when pregnant - - or on a special diet like atkins where I couldn't drink it - -- I seldom go an evening without one or two beers.

That's why I love WW. It allows me to drink my beers (Bud LIght - 2 points).

:)

13. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

Um....didn't you read the rules of this forum BrahmaMama??

No Skinny People Allowed!

(JUST KIDDING.......................:) )

14. valschickens

Hey Mama!

Up until December, I was on the B's. I was taking B6 & B12 along with a daily vitamin plus other supplements. But along came some heavy duty brain explosions so I quit all supplements but my scripts.

Today, seeing as the ibu's didn't work after 4 hours, I switched to Aleve. We'll see how that goes.......

Val

15. valschickens

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Val

p.s. It's okay, Jill, she's a chicken-lover...... ;)

16. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

There, see... that's progress! Gee, if I had known it was that easy! Never thought to try laughing! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) :)

17. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

It is only recommended that you drink 64 oz of water a day. Anything more than that can cause bad effects. It washes many of the nutrients that you need out and can cause a very bad long term effect on your body. I am thinking that could be part of the problem.

Heather

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the headache could be from to much water. drinking too much water a day can be pretty dangerous, and can cause a heart attack. Look it up. here is one snippet;

"Often called "water intoxication" or "hyponatremia" (low salt)1, water poisoning results when too much water is ingested in too short a time without replenishing electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium.

The human body (as with other animals) maintains an equilibrium of electrolytes in the bloodstream as part of its normal operation. Sweating causes the body to lose salt, but the primary cause of hyponatremia is drinking enormous amounts of water, which dilutes the salt in the body to a dangerous level. As the electrolyte levels get dangerously out of balance, body systems begin to fail and the sufferer exhibits signs of crisis such as diarrhea, over-salivation, stupor, vomiting, muscle tremors, confusion, frequent urination and other general symptoms of illness, and their brain begins to swell. This swelling is called a 'brain edema' or 'cerebral edema' and can lead to brain damage, paralysis, and sometimes death."

the headach could be from simple sugar withdrawl. when my mom was diagnosed with diabetes and had to cold turkey the sugar and carbs, she had a miserible headache for weeks.
    I too got a nasty headache when I went on the low carb diet "way", to cut my chances of developing diabetes (they ALL have it here... better safe than sorry)

I think you get addicted to simple sugars as much as you can anything else.

I would slow down on the water, it's not really doing anything productive, to drink more than you need.

19. valschickens

You've convinced me, CN, to lower my water consumption. I really had no idea. I got to drinking it to the point that when I don't, my body craves it!

As for the headache, I switched from ibu to Aleve (Naproxen). But when I woke up at midnight, my head was pounding even worse. DH said his surgeon told him to take 4 ibu's after his surgery for pain as an option (vs narcotics); so I got up and took that! In the morning, my headache was gone.

It is still hinting of returning....I can feel it....but I'll limit my water.

Thanks you guys! What would I/we do without this board for support? :)

Val

20. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I also need to suggest that you consider your headache may be unrelated to your weight loss effort. Generally speaking, if you have had headache for more than a week, even if it comes and goes, the docs like to be consulted, just to be sure something nasty isn't goin on.

My neigbor, who is skinny, and age 32, had a bad headache for a week, then one day she thought she was going to die, went to the ER and was admitted with symptoms of a STROKE! (at age 32 mind you!) They never figured out why she had the stroke. She is still undergoing a number of tests. But I guess I won't ever take a long-standing headache for granted again! They thought she had MS. They thought she was throwing clots (she smokes, and aparently that is one of the risks for smokers). All sorts of things... (I guess the scan can show a problem spot, but not show a cause??) Anyway... she seems to be doing better now, and she is on some medication.

If it continues, I think I would call somebody. Better safe than sorry.