On Topic --- My Old ACD

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Jun 8, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

My Old Cattle Dog --- (Australian Cattle Dog for you amateurs) is getting real old and ugly; his name is 'Chief. I love Chief, he used to run miles-and-miles every day bringing in my milk cows, He LOVES to play 'Frisbee' --- ever seen one of those farm dogs that jump 8 feet in the air to catch anything you are willing to throw????

Well Chief now has a crippled leg, a sad face, won't shed his hair this year --- and is giving me those "longing" eyes just about every minute of his days.

Chief is gonna die soon and a big portion of my life is gonna pass with him.

Thanks for letting me unload that.

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I know how you feel sneaky. I have a bassett who is 12 now. She doesn't move as fast as she used to and she sleeps about 16 hours a day now. She has had a class 5 heart murmur for years. Every time take her for her check up and the vet listens to her heart he cringes and reminds me that she could have a heart attack any minute. He's been telling me this for 2 years. But we carry on. We don't walk as fast when we go out for a walk. And as I said she sleeps a lot more these days. As long as she isn't in pain I am happy to just continue to enjoy her company.

Shane

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Our German Shorthair had a heart attack and died in my arms just before Christmas. We had planned to lay her down on Mon., and she died the Sat. before.
    I still dream about her and wake up crying....
    My kids ages 9 and 10 still have spells of missing her right out of the blue......

Sounds like your dog has been completely devoted to pleasing you as ours was.....you'll never find a better person!!!

Its hard to say good-bye to true friends......

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

:waa: sorry.... My ol gal is gettin on and sometimes it just punches you in the gut...

6. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

I know how hard it is.
    I had to put my old girl down a year ago. She had cancer and she told me when she had to go. It was terribly hard to accept.

7. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

One of the hardest things to listen to is when a loved dog gives you that look that they are done. I tried to ignore it, thinking it was just the way I happened to look at her, but when it became more often I knew deep down even though I wasn't ready for her to go.
    Just keep the dog comfy and happy and enjoy these days...your dog will tell you when enough is enough.

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Look into pet nutrition. Our beagles were on their last legs till I started them on glucosamine and vitamin E and some other supplements. They lasted a good two more years of happy dogginess.

Over the counter dog food is not good dog nutrition. Cornmeal and meat by products.

Dogs are meant to eat protein and fat.

9. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice Rose. I'll do it.