On The Matter of Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Mar 12, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

There are but three essentials in life: Water, food and shelter. Everything else one considers essential to life is a direct consequence of their own mind. This is NOT a bad thing. How one leads their life is entirely a selfish and righteous matter. One human's homesteading is another's scourge or glory. Strive above all else to please yourself and not denigrate others.

2. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Just some thoughts on that

Unless of course you believe in God.... then I would suspect "pleasing yourself" is not the utmost important thing.

One who is out to only please themselves I would think would lead a very sad and lonely life.

Mike

3. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

...unless, of course, you find pleasure in doing good, and being a good person in general... Doesn't sound lonely to me.

4. MikeJoel

Of course, but I was strickly thinking along the lines of common human nature.
    You are of course correct, if you are guided by God then what pleases you will be the right things :)

Mike

5. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

God is true BUT a few missed the point ------ If faith pleases you then by all means be true to God. God is GOOD but only IF it please you.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

So, only those guided by your god are capable of being pleased by the "right things"? Those with other beliefs are only pleased when they're drowning kittens and stealing from their neighbors, huh?

7. MikeJoel

Very good :) lol

I guess my comments on this are not welcome so I won't reply to that.
    I assume the original post was to be provoking as it was stated. Obviously though some thoughts should not be allowed to be provoked?

Mike

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

As Cicero put it, the gods are not concerned with human affairs. How one leads their life may be selfish as maybe seen by some others, but their homesteading activities might be actually humanistic endeavors because of concern for envionment, producing wholesome foods, or treading lightly on others sensibitlities.
    Strive to love and please yourself and learn that connection with other humans is beyond our the basic needs of survival. That interconnection with humans will never go away, though we may live within our own solitude.

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Well now, Mike... that's nicely offensive. Does your diety tell you to walk around suggesting that anyone who doesn't subscribe to your brand of worship is ipso facto not guided to do right?

No?

Well.. golly gee.. then you're a failure!

Better try harder, hun?

10. apirlawz

Mike, that's not what I'd said.

I am decidedly not Christian, nor am I guided by the Christian god. However, I very much enjoy doing good for others. It makes me feel good about myself, and connected to my community. Decisions I make about my own conduct and actions are not only made with myself in mind, but also of the impact of my actions on my husband, neighbors...anyone who would be affected.

I realize that these are characteristic that Christians like to attribute to "doing God's work", but what I'm here to tell you is that not all people need the Christian belief system to tell them how to live their lives in harmony with others.

I'm not trying to tell you that you should not attribute everything good in life to your God, but just realize that your veiws are not universal, or "right" for everyone.

April

11. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Why so thin-skinned? If you put a statement out there, be prepared to discuss or even defend it. A challenge isn't an attack. You don't have to take your toys and go home. :)

12. apirlawz

Yes, the original post was provocative. In your post that followed, you put forth that unless one lives their life in service of the (what I assumed to be) Christian god, life would be sad and lonely. Was your statement any less provocative than the original post?

The last line of NWSneaky's post was "Strive above all else to please yourself and not denigrate others." How is this contradictory to the Christian belief system as you suggested in you post?

Mike, I don't think anyone is saying you are not allowed to express your beliefs. We are, however, holding you accountable for your statements. Don't let yourself be "hushed". If your belief is strong, you should be able to discuss it here with us, regardless of what kind of support/agreement you feel you do or do not have. Basically speaking, you said it, now own it.

Then why did our creators, however we may see him/her/them/it, give us the ability to think critically? When has voluntary ignorance proven beneficial?

I think it may be safe to say that the days and blind faith and adherence to dogma are, for the most part, over. Today, if you want to tout the Christian view of any subject as the "right view", you are going to have to back it up with more than "that's what the bible said".

Think. Why did the bible say it? What factors are involved? Was somebody just so bored that they decided to pen thousands of pages on ethics? I doubt it. Don't you think that you owe it do your religion to at least try to understand what is being taught, and why? To decide to not "allow you thoughts to be provoked" is, in my mind, a cop-out. I believe it's a way to avoid questioning, and as a result, truly knowing your own faith. If your do not question, how do you learn? If you do not learn your faith, how can you live it fully?

Don't back off because we are questioning your statements. Don't do a disservice to your faith by opting for ignorance. How can we ever learn to listen to and understand each other if we run from the tough questions?

April