?? on solar light for chicken coop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wisconsin Lisa, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Wisconsin Lisa

Wisconsin Lisa Active Member

I'm completely new to this...... Can I install a small solar powered light to extend the light time in my chicken coop? Where would I even begin looking for the components?

2. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Thatswhat we did...went to Lowes, and bought one of those sidewalk light kits w/ the separate solar panel, put the solar panel on the roof, and one light in each of the coops, and one in the walkway...lights for about 6 hours after sundown! It was a lot cheaper for us to do that than it was to run electric to the coop!

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

What about Northern Tool? They have a solar light that gives off 7 (I think)watts at night. I think it's about $35.00.

Anyone tried it? Is it bright enough?

4. n7cos

n7cos Member

All the parts for doing something like this are avaliable from an RV Supply dealer. Light fixtures are all 12 volts and use bulbs that can be had from a WalMart. Just tye it to a 12 volt battery and a small Solar charger. Add as many lights as you need or can afford.

George

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

6. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

wolf mom - I have one of those solar northern tool lights in each of my sheds and I am not impressed with the output - it is better than no light tho!

I cannot recommend them.

7. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

I had thought about doing this myself not only for extending the light but for supplemental bugs in warm weather. You guys useing them notice them eating bugs under the lights?

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Years ago, before bug zappers were invented, I had a wire-covered pen that I put young poultry in to grow them out before they were big enough to put in the chicken yard. I placed a low wattage bulb on top of the pen and you could go out there any time during the night and see those babies eating bugs. Mostly moths, I guess, but I saw it as free protein for the chicks... lol

9. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Hey CB, I thought about doing that, too! I wondered if the extra night-time lighting would affect them going to bed on time, though. Do the lights gradually dim, instead of going out suddenly?

How much did it cost? I might have to do that! I'm currently using just a little 15 watt appliance light in the coop (I just have a little chicken tractor) and it keeps it warm, but it only runs from 5 a.m. until 5 p.m. (on a timer). I'd run it more if I thought the extra light wouldn't distract the chickies!

My 4 hens are STILL laying 4 eggs every single day! I hate to mess up a good thing! :)

BTW - How's the santa claus gig going??