On non roundup ready corn, or op corn seed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Jan 1, 2007.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Whats the best weed killer to use. I finally got a sprayer last year. Never sprayed corn before, just harrowed, or now, rotary hoed amd cultivated corn. Buy the time the corn was 3ft tall, I could have it looking like a picturebook field, but then, after it was to tall to get into, the weeds and sunflowers and vines grew way faster than the corn did

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

AllDown has gotten great reports. I just read of Matran on the Johnny's website.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Plant beans between the rows.

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Do you have a lot of experiance with this? Im sorta looking at the posability of interplanting RR Alfalfa with RR corn

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

If you are using any sort of automated harvesting, this won't work.

6. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We can't help you much, ask locally. You'll have different weeds and conditions than most of the rest of us. Sprays depend very much on local conditions.

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The old inexpensive broadleaf killer for corn was 2-4-D.

8. FarmboyBill

Think theres a law again it. As to planting alfalfa between the rows. I guess you could. Dont see how you would do it without an oldtime walking 5 hole drill, which I have circa 1876, But i dont have horse or harness, and couldnt walk that much anymore anyway. BUT, what would you do with it after you planted it. If you picked the corn, the stalks would still be standing, and would be murder to a sickle mower. , Beans the same way. and I dont think my drill would plant beans. Think it just does oats, wheat, and,,, well, maybe beans. half to look tomorrow

9. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

You can still get 2-4-D Bill. Not used so much in corn anymore, still used a bit in small grains. Think you're thinking of DDT.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

2-4-D is around & sold in most farm supply stores. In fact it is a mian ingredient in most danilion control stuff for lawn.....

Anyhow, you want to control broadleaves, grasses, or both?

Dicomba (Banvel, Clairity, Sterling, etc.) is a good broadleaf control spray, but it _does_ drift badly if you don't know what you are doing & wrecks beans & other stuff in temperature inversions, etc., possibly for miles. Normally a good product tho, if you know how to se up your sprayer.

Versions of atrizine work well on grass, but have a long lasting effect. Something like Dual granular would work good.

Beans don't help any for weed control, if you really have weeds.... All you end up with are 2 mixed crops with a lot of weeds. Corn will grow a couple inches, then wait as it grows root mass & feeds growing point. This is when weeds smoother the corn - so would the beans.

Interplanting them or alfalfa would be no problem tho. Plant the corn. Go over with a spinner seeder. Then harrow (drag) the field with a shallow-pitched harrow. Frankly, you could seed with a regular drill rough over the corn, keep the disks shallow. Most grain drills can plant soybeans.

--->Paul

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Get some geese, they'll keep it weeded for you and as a bonus you can either sell them or eat them when the job is completed. Your soil will thank you for it.

12. FarmboyBill

Yes I could drill beans, but wouldnt the beans, in comeing up, take away from the corn the nuitrants it needs? I always thought corn to do its best didnt like competition.

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I have thought about wide spacing the corn, and using a horse, and a one row cultivator to keep the weeds out once the corn is to high to get a tractor over it. Of course it wouldnt be practical if you had very many acres.

14. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you check the corn like the real homesteaders did 80 years ago, it can be cultivated both directions. Good ground got three stalks per hill, and not so good got two stalks per hill. The old two row horse drawn cornplanters could come with a roll of check wire 80 rods long that you streached across the field. The wire had links it it that were spaced the same as the row width of the planter. The wire was placed on a roller setup on the side of the planter as you turned at each end. You had to get off the planter and move the steel stake holding the end of the check wire over 4 row widths to be caught up with the planter spacings when you turned at each end. The knots on the wire tripped the hill drop mechinism on the planter which dropped the preset number of grains into a hill thus making a grid patern in the field which could be cultivated both ways with a hors drawn one row cultivater. These had stirrups for your feet, and grips for your hands on the section of shovels that were moveable sideways on either side of the row. You could throw dirt up around each hill, and knock out and weeds that might be there. You had to quit cultivating corn as soon as it started to tassle. The horses wore chicken wire baskets over their noses to prevent them from grabing off corn stalks while they worked.
    You also carried a stick to stop and reach back to uncover any stalk of corn you might had covered up the first time over the field. Farmers were very competive about who could get their checked hills lined up the straightest.
    I have a pair of the check wire end stakes if that will help any.

15. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

You may want to decrease your row spacing. I planted OP corn at 36 in spacing last year and used mechanical cultivation. I noticed some weeds after the last cultivation, but for the most part they didnt grow very high.This year I'm planting at 30" rows to see if I can reduce the weeds even more.

Another thing I do is lightly cultivate between three days to a week after planting before the corn even shows. This will knock off the young weeds early and the corn isn't disturbed because of the shallow cultivation depth. I've even heard of people lightly disking 3 or so days after planting.

I've thought about check row, but it just seems like too much land is wasted vs the yield.

I use an old 2 row cultivator mounted to a tractor

16. FarmboyBill

I cant set the press wheels any closer, and so thats about that. Its an IHC planter that looks like a horse planter other than no handle or seat. Its rope trip. The horse planter is nearly identical except for seat and handle and thinner wheels, Thats why im going to go through the field once, then come back and go through it again about 6in apart, which should make the wide rows 30in. Ive upped the population per row also, so ill se ewhats happens. Should provide more plants per row, more shade per row, more rows that have a full line of plants from one row or its neighbor. As to check row planting. Ive seen a few horse cr planters. never seen a field done that way. I asked my dad last year, and at 87 he says he never saw it done that way. One reason, I think, is that it was/is very hilly where I was born raised, and it wasnt feasable to pull a 1 or 2 row cultivator up and down hills, rather than go across them. When the outer, flatter areas saw that it could be done successfully, then thats what they did, and that might be the reason dad never saw it. I took the rotary hoe over the planted corn when the moon was in the right time for killing, no more than a week or 2 from planting.

17. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

You can do checkrows at any spacing

18. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy