? on nipple/barrel waterer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Abouttime, May 15, 2006.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

How long should it take the pigs to learn how to access the water? I set mine up yesterday afternoon and so far I haven't observed them getting water. Something was said on an earlier post about a good stream coming from the nipples. When I depress the activator, I'm not getting a good stream just a slow deliberate drizzle. Is it possible to install these incorrectly?
    Much thanks-

2. royB

royB Well-Known Member

I'm probably not going to be much help but....

I put two into a pen with small pigs about a month ago. Some use them, others still drink from the puddle that forms under them.

On the installation - I have two types. One that has a disc that you turn to the correct size hole (there are three) to get the flow you want. The other type has a single hole in it and was only "adjustable" by running a small drill bit thru it. Both of these discs were located under the filter screen.

Roy

3. Argent Farms

Argent Farms Pig farmer

Mine figured it out pretty quick, they are always interested in something new.
    Most nipple waterers have an adjustable flow orifice, not sure how it works, but my guess is you just make the hole bigger?

4. Abouttime

Gee, I hate to think my pigs aren't smart enough-(LOL) I know they're the smartest animals on the farm! This am they are nosing it, so perhaps they'll "get it" today. Thanks for the replies.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

cram some peanut butter around the "trigger" in the center of the drinker. You do not have the nipple waterer too low do you? The pig needs the waterer to be about its eye level.

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Great idea on the peanut butter! That will train them!

7. Abouttime

You know, I probably should have staggered the 3 nipples as to height so they wouldn't outgrow them. I may have them all too low-I'll raise the barrel and try the peanut butter.
    Thanks

8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I use the peanut butter trick every year....takes the pigs about 5 minutes to find the nipple and figure out what its for.....definitely stagger the nipples or put in some tee's with plugs so you can easily raise the nipple as the pigs grow......

9. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

I got nipple waterers today. They bite on them to get the water to flow. I am putting them in a plastic barrel. How do I attach them? The guy at the feed store wasn't sure.

10. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I would run the pipe to the pigs...and use iron or galv pipe inside the pen...pigs will destroy PVC....place the barrel outside the pen and get a tank adaptor to go through the side or bottom of the tank...you can attach the pipe to the tank adaptor fitting....anchor the pipe well so the pigs can't drag it into the pen with them....that should do it!

11. DRL

DRL Member

I have the 1/2" water nipple the type with the adj. disc. I removed the disk and drilled the orrifce out to 7/16", and I get alot more water now than I did at first, and the pigs found out about the water with out my help, they just want to mouth everything.