On-line Weather Forecasts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Jul 25, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone else use on-line weather forecasts?? My ISp provides a link to Accuweather and I am now using a trial of Pro.accuweather which is better. The only dislike is that for the temp readings in Kerrville, TX they get the info from Junction TX (55 miles west). For Comfort, TX they get the readings from Kerrville - go figure!!! I really like the doppler radar and use it to see what the real weather is going to be.

2. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Weatherbug.com I really like it. It has alerts to bad weather, radar all kinds of stuff.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I use radar from the stations in Tulsa. I only pay a little mind to forecasts --- but I watch radar for storms and tornados so I'll know when to relax and when to panic. !

I do it online because I don't have television here.

I've found national services to be not very useful (except for Pollen Watch, which gathers data locally). Given this is tornado country, that's a problem.

If you have a good weatherman and service at an area television station, you might be better off with that.

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

They are all windows only and I personally find windows is too much hassle to take on internet, its just too high-maintenence since all nasty junk out there is aimed at it.

One of local stations offers to email in text format the daily forcast every morning. Works for me. I also set my homepage directly to local stations weather radar link bypassing their slow website and all the ads and other crap. So when I connect and bring up browser, voila, I have local radar (serveral counties) filling the screen.

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

6. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

weatherbug is spyware, I wouldn't want it on my machine. Don't know anything about the other site mentioned. I can look outside and tell all I need to know about the weather. And I get an earache if the barometer is falling.

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Right, I use the New Delhi weather forcasting method myself: Lookoutawindow.

Of all of the online weather forcasting sites, I have to cast a vote for weatherunderground myself as well. It also gives you statistical data for local weather stations, either by hour, day, week, or month.

10. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

11. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

12. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

we like www.intellicast.com too. Mostly the radar features, Nobody can forecast accurately more than 24 hours ahead IMHO, at least for this part of the country (SW PA)
    HermitJohn- it works fine on our macs.
    CW

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Looked and didnt see a version for anything but windows. Are you using some kind of windows emulator program?

????? The Intellicast Desktop Application is an innovative software program that brings radar imagery, current conditions, and severe weather alerting to your Windows desktop. Now it is easier than ever to stay ahead of changing weather conditions and keep one click away from Intellicast.com, the premier online source for pinpoint weather information and essential planning tools for travelers and outdoor enthusiasts.?????

14. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I like my Yahoo home page. I customized it to include weather reports from whichever cities I choose. Sponsored by the Weather Channel.

15. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

After I read your post I took weatherbug off of my cookies allowed list and scanned them with spyware scanner. It came up clean. Is their different versions of weatherbug that may have spyware on it, or did I do it wrong?

16. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

HermitJohn-
    I just go to the bookmarked intellicast site for radar using the browser. We use Safari browser & Mac OS X. Everything I've ever clicked on has come up & loops work, etc. Don't know if automatic alerts & email forecasts work, I've nevr tried. DD says I'm not actually using the downloadable program, if that's what you were looking for. Hope that helps.
    CW

17. WeatherBug is NOT spyware- gee, see the other postings below where people run spyware detectors and don't list it- no major spyware detector lists WeatherBug- PERIOD. Not spybor or adaware, the #1 adn #2 detectors nor dozens of others. PERIOD.

We are a member of the Dept. of HOmeland Security Iniatiative and have 7000 stations including every NWS station, although those only update about once an hour, our 6000 exclusive stations update live.

Yes, by all means you can look out the window. But somehow weather is the #2 category in all the internet for searches behind NEWS. There is a 24 hour weather channel (one of our fine competitors) and many of our competitors have now copied us and offer not just a static website you can visit, but a downloadable live program that sits in your system tray, just like WeatherBug.

We deliver more National Weather Service alerts than any company in the world, including the government.

If you have questions about WeatherBug folks, rather than posting incorrect information, either visit us at www.weatherbug.com/notspyware or drop me an email at jay@weatherbug.com

All the best,
    Jay Hoffman
    customer support team manager
    WeatherBug

18. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

19. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I second weather underground

20. In response to Cyngbaeld who wrote:
    weatherbug is spyware, I wouldn't want it on my machine.

This is 100% wrong. If you visit http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/support/faq_spyware.htm
    you will see 1) we're Aluria certified spyware-free. 2) We're TRUSTe certified. 3) we offer free downloads to some of the most popular spyware detectors around- ever heard of Spybot, AdAware, Pest Patrol, etc. etc. etc.? According to download.com, Over 100 Million folks have used Spybot and AdAware together. NEITHER list us as spyware, nor does any spyware program I am aware of....because we're not spyware.

For the record, spyware tracks websurfing activity and sometimes reads what is on the user’s hard drive. WeatherBug is not capable of tracking your overall web use or deciphering anything on your hard drive. If a anyone is implying or reporting that WeatherBug is 'spyware' or a ‘data-miner,’ it is COMPLETELY incorrect.

WeatherBug owns and operates the world’s largest weather network and we are zealously committed to being the best, most reliable source of live, local weather information for millions of consumers, thousands of schools, dozens of major businesses, and over 100 television stations.

We have a partnership with the National Weather Service to share weather information in times of emergency through the Homeland Security WeatherBug Network.

Don't think they, the 19.5 million unique visitors we had last month, the dozens of police, fire and emergency response teams, or the 7000 schools that have our weather stations on top of them (so you get weather a heck of a lot closer than the NWS, NOAA, or our competitors who all get their weather from the airport which is great if you live....at the airport) would trust us if we were anything other than an ad-supported free weather program, just like the Weather Channel's downloadable program and just like hotmail, yahoo mail, AOL Instant messenger and other programs that use advertising to provide their software for free.

If anyone ever has any questions about our product, feel free to visit us at www.weatherbug.com/help or write me directly at jay@weatherbug.com

THanks,
    Jay Hoffman
    Manager
    Customer Support Team, WeatherBug