On goats and fences - take 2

Discussion in 'Goats' started by flannelberry, Mar 24, 2006.

1. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Hi everyone

Previously, I had posted a question about goat breeds and fencing. I didn't read any responses before the nasty attack on this site, so I'm going for take 2, if that's ok.

I am considering a couple of Nigerians (females, for milk). We currently have a fence that's about five feet high, does (now) keep our Pyr in, is mostly the agricultural fencing (starts with small rectangles that get bigger as it goes up) with some areas of "no climb". We'd have to do some work around the base - there are launching platforms available currently.

I don't think this fence would have kept in my Nubians - but I never did manage to construct one that did completely. Between fence testing and finding these strange gaps that didn't seem that they could even possibly be gaps...

Anyway, I would like some feedback about improvements that may be recommended. I'm more than willing to add a hot wire or two.

I'd also love to know about other breeds to consider. I am not looking for Nubians, I know they have some wonderful aspects but I'm not interested in the power struggles at this stage in my life :). We've considered LaManchas, Nigerians, Toggs and Alpines seriously. We're looking for a small amount of milk, docile, not too loud and affectionate.

I'd love some feedback on any of this rambling post!

Many thanks in advance.

2. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Well, I can tell you from the two LaMancha's that we have, they are quiet and personable, but they do tend to escape. Not as much as some other breeds, but ours like to be with us and will look for ways to get out.

3. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand why people have such problems keeping goats in! We've had goats for 2 full years now and have only ever had one doe that found one certain spot to go under the field fencing. All our fencing is 48" field fencing with an electric line about a foot up around the inside. Our paddock area is 48" tall cattle panels with a hot wire that's still raised up for our miniature donkeys. We've probably had 30 different goats in that time including a few kids and only had that one boer doe that was naughty. We have Nigerian Dwarfs now, and even my buck stays in a 34" tall pen with girls on the other side! We also have mini manchas. That's a breed for you to consider too. We love their temperment and they are just a bit bigger with better teats.

4. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

I would love to have mini lamanchas but they're impossible to get in Canada and we can't bring them across the border anymore!!!

Thanks.

5. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

A hot wire a foot off the ground and another 6" above the fencing work just fine to keep my goats in their pen. Wet them down and bait the hot wire with peanut butter or something - they'll learn very quickly to avoid the fence.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would add a couple of hotwires to the inside of your fence and go for it! If you don't want power struggles....don't get Alpines!! :D My Nubians and Lamanchas are the sweetest in the dairy goats, Boers are very sweet meat goats.