? on deer hunting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stanb999, Nov 17, 2005.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Now I'm new to deer hunting and have a real delima. The deer are litterally all over the place but with the overgrown pastures and thick woods I can't really see to get a shot over maybe 100 Yards MAX. most places it's more like 100 FT.
    Now for the question...
    should I put up a tree stand or try to build a blind on the ground. In the trees it's even more difficult to see any distance but I have heard it keeps your scent high so the deer are less likely to smell ya. But if I was on the ground their are a couple spots where a longer shot greater than 50 less than 100 yards would be possible.

Also can anyone explain why the deer seem to be out only at night? Some times I see them at 6:30AM but never in the day and they are around just after dark.
    This is on my land so I see lots of sign but rarely see the deer.

2. I like to use treestands because of scent control. Most of my shots are within 50 feet of my treestand. What I like to do is look for bottlenecks and where they like to cross from one ridge to another and set up in these locations.

If there is a lot of hunting pressure deer will turn nocternal and more so if their is a full moon out.

3. stanb999

Thanks RH
    The thing with the deer is it's not hunting season for 2 weeks.

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

they are more active in the early morning and evening now because they have on their winter coats and it gets hot for them to do much moving during daylight hours.

5. margo

margo Well-Known Member

We have the same conditions here, young growth after logging and the noxious takeover of the green briar called multiflora rose. Slowly, we are tackling the stuff, to create openings and "runways" so that there still is cover, but a person will have half a chance to see a deer.

I figure we have the next 20 years to get 'er done...... :)

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Stan, since you are hunting on your own property cut some trails and make a path to where the deer are "funneling" into the area where you are going to position yourself. I personally like to hunt from an elevated stand. It is much safer and your shots are directed into the ground. There are other benefits such as the scent and movement are less obvious. With a little work you can get the deer to come within view and range. The activity with making the paths will not negatively affect the average deer. They are typically curious and will come to explore the changes. Good hunting!

7. stanb999

Thats one thing I gotta say. ALL Animals are lazy.

When we bought this property the land was pretty much impassable. I have over this last summer cut paths from the apple grove to the pond, the road to the woods up back. All the critters take these paths. The trails are worn to the point that the grass is gone. I see bear and deer sign "poop" all along the paths. I just would like to get a good spot so I can get one. I also got a Bear tag so if I'm lucky to see one; I can get it. I figured if I didn't get it I'd definatly see one so now probably not. :)

P.S. I just went out to get some wood and the deer are out in the apple grove.

8. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

The deer do not "turn" nocturnal. They are naturally nocturnal. They only come out during the day when something out of the ordinary happens. Disturbed from rest, hunger, this time of year, rut.
    Clear a wide path and pour a few pound of salt, or a bag of corn in the path, if baiting is allowed in your state. It is in mine. Place your tree stand 50 to 75 yards and be in it at dusk or dawn. You will be eating venison very soon, as I did for supper tonight. :)
    GOOD LUCK

9. stanb999

Nope, We can't bait here......But the apples are natural doncha kno. ;)

10. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

no treestand will eliminate your scent but will help some. ALWAYS make sure you are downwind of the expected travel route of the deer. Approach from downwind to your stand. Try to stay out of the preferred travel route as much as possible. I have stands I hunt in the morning and stands I only hunt evenings. All based on things like their travel -patterns and wind directions. Besides if you sit there all day long your scent will saturate the area. When possible dont hunt the same stand several times in a row. We pattern deer and deer will pattern you.

The deer are active all hours of the day and night. According to research at Auburn university at the Whitetail Institute of America on average an adult deer in a southern state feeds at least every seven hours.

Here is how youll get your shot.

Take notes of when you have seen deer time location and direction of natural movement(not spooked off)

Say for instance you see deer regular at 7pm going down a certain ridge heading west. You just simply drop back and intercept them farther back olong their travel route when it is still legal shooting light.

Do your homeowrk and do your studying and use your noggin and youll get a deer like this monster I tokk a couple years ago.

Please excuse poor quality of pics. these were mad with 35mm and I havnt gotten a new scanner and I took these of the originals with my digital camera(thats why you see the thumb in one photo lol)

My oldest son Chris
    [​IMG]

Left to right Chris friend Fuller Stepson William right after Boone and Crockett scoring at Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center and the Deer Expo
    [​IMG]

Yours truly. Im 6'1-6'2 and in this pics I was 285 pounds 50"chest 23"arms. The antlers are held against me NOT at arms length like in the magazines. Just for reference lol
    [​IMG]

11. stanb999

Thanks Everyone.

I gonna try to set up a stand in the back by the woods. The deer seem to travel from there to the apple grove each day. They are down back in the middle of the day usually, I've seen them back there in the afternoon. So they seem to be traveling from the grove to the pond to the woods/cover in the back. I will try as Dripping Springs said to get back on there trail to where I can get them during the day light. Once again thanks.