? on Carbon Monoxide Detector

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Jan 4, 2005.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We have had a carbon monoxide detector for years in the kitchen - never has gone off (we've tested to make sure it is in working order though). It is plugged into an outlet (no batteries). It is on the opposite side of the kitchen from my range.

We got this because we have a wood stove insert in the house and do burn wood here and there.

Recently while making Swedish Glogg (port, bourbon and spices) on the kitchen stove, it went off. It kept going off. We opened windows and the glogg was finished so i took it off the burner.

It kept going off so hubby unplugged it because there wasn't even a fire going or anything. We did open windows just in case.

He then plugged it in again later it was fine for over two weeks and then New Years Eve when i boiled up my glogg - what do you know - it went off again.
    Hasn't gone off since.

Is there some chemical reaction with cooking booze that it would cause that?

Still have some leftover and wonder if the detector will go off when i heat it this time.

Any insight would be great

2. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

If nothing else, I'd get a good battery back up model-just to be safe if the power goes out.
    As for it going off.........I remember reading that yes, CO can be formed when making aqlcohol, but maybe someone else knows for sure.........I know that when using destructive distillation to make gas from wood, CO is formed, and, if you modify the gas generator's design, you can make alcohol with the vapors......sorry I cannot help more on this! But do get a better CO detector.......

3. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Our goes off when we spray Lysol.

Ours is both batteries and plug.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

my friend had one that did that. Go off, can't find anything. Nothing for a long time, then driving them nuts. Finally discovered the furnace was intermittantly putting CO into the air. They got a new furnace. No more problems. So, keep looking.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Thats why I like the one with the digital readout,mines a Night Hawk.Lets you know if there is a chronic low level amt in the air.Mine is always zero unless we put a cigarette under it,it flies up on the number and alarms.

BooBoo

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'll have to look into those other brands. The only time it has gone off is while cooking with alcohol. Thanks for the advice.