Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved my girls from the molassed chaff they have been having onto Alfalfa chaff - they went mad for it. Do I let them have as much as they want or will they pig themselves on it? I thought I would have to get them used to it due to lack of molasses but they didn't hesitate.

I am also starting to mix in straight feeds with their goat mix (got 3 more bags of feed to use up before I can swap completely - can't afford to not give it to them) but have started adding the oats and barley to the mix (they already get maize).

Would you believe that it is twice now I have forgotten to order the alfalfa pellets to try them on - 6 weeks now before I get another order :(

hoggie

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
I would say, introduce it gradually - like horses, goats have to have feed changes made slowly, so their micro-flora in their gut has a chance to get used to it. Otherwise, you get upset tummies and scours. Not pleasant.

It's good that they like it!

How far ahead do you have to order feed? I'm assuming that it comes from off-island. Wow, I can't imagine that - I just hop in the car or van, and drive to the feed mill when I need stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordering feed - usually we order and then the feed comes on the boat about 10 days later. At the moment I order through a friend who gets an order once a month (cuts on the freight costs that way). Then about twice a year I put in an order to MY supplier for all the stuff I can't get through my friend. Can't get away with ordering less than about a week before the boat though as it has to be got down to the docks ready for the boat.

hoggie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts