on again off again labor

Discussion in 'Goats' started by meggie, Jan 25, 2005.

1. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

She is not pushing , she is pawing then she looks to her side and goes back to eating the staw bedding. Her water has not broken. She is getting more restless. I called the vet , he said the first stage of labor in first timers can last 12- 14 hours. As long as she is not pushing and not getting anywhere. I have never had it take this long ,though.
    will post again as soon as I can.

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

getting up and down she is trying to line them up. the first stages can last a long time, but if she starts to push or is making grunting sounds, then you better go in. I don't liek to go in unless I had to. but when you go in FI she is ready, she will back up against you, have some one hold her. you can tell if she is ready if you can get your hand in her.

3. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

They are here !!!! 4 on the floor , 3 does 1 buck . Mom and kids are doing great.They started coming about 4 am and by 5:30 we where all done. I have never had a doe go so long but then again I never had one eat right before , munch straw during and grab hay between kids. They are so cute they are crosses mom is a nubian dad was a nigiarian. These guys are spotted black and brown with patches of white.
    Off to bed with me for a nap.
    Thanks everybody for the great advise and support
    :D

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

well, I am glad that she is ok, and CONGRATS. WOW 4, THAT IS SUPER GREAT. I have a nubian that is due in a few days, and she had triplets her first time out, so we could be looking at 4. she is really broad. I think that is great.

5. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

4?!? :eek: WOW, the most I've ever had was triplets and that has only been once. The rest of the time it's twins, and last year 1 just had a single.

Congratulations.