Omni CV joint

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Sep 6, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Haveing never worked on a front wheel drive vehicle before and now with a 1985 Dodge Omni to fix the right front CV thingy. What do I exspect to find when I open it up, what special tools are needed? Is this thing meteric or standard? Is this like a drive shaft U joint system?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Seems to me they are metric, not sure what to expect, I'll try to find the Chiltons or Haynes I had for mine. Luved that little car, is your's a GLH? Embarassed a few 5L Mustangs with mine!

3. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

4. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

Mitch,
    I have an old Chiltons manual, Domestic and Canadian cars from 1978 to 1985. You're more than welcome to it if you want it. Just PM me with your address and I'll send it. I'm up in Orlando.
    Steve

5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

It's far easier, and usually about the same price, to simply replace the axleshaft as opposed to rebuilding the CV joint.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with that.No further discussion needed on that point.

Mitch,I dont know your car,but I recently did work on a front wheel drive Jetta.Its surprising how intuitive it is to work on,very simple.Im starting to like these 'new' cars actually.I just read the book,borrowed the tool I didnt have from Autozone,and went at it.Did need to have wheel bearing pressed on though.

Some real good ideas have gone into them,and simplicity(ie. lower manufacturing costs) can be of benefit to us when doing repairs.

Going to do brakes too while its torn down?May as well toss on pads if they are getting down,wont cost you much in extra time at all.Im amazed how simple those front discs are(I assume yours is disc)

But foxtrapper said it all,get the whole axle shaft,you will be miles ahead.

BooBoo

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mitch,whats the plan?Into it yet?

BooBoo

8. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Definetly metric fasteners. I also vote for replacement of the whole shaft if the joint is bad. Usually a bad joint can be heard on turns, a loud clicking or popping with the wheels cut hard and rolling. If it's just a boot then you can replace just it but on a 20 yr. old car I'd probably use a reman axle from the auto supermarkets with a lifetime warranty.
    Remove the wheel and you will see a large nut 30-36mm in the center of the rotor. Remove the cotter pin if it has one and remove the nut. There will be a pinch bolt at the lower ball joint, remove the nut and bolt. Use a large bar and pry down on the lower control arm and the strut will come free from the ball joint. The axle will pop out of the trans with a little persuasion. Look at the replacement axle to see how it is retained. Remove the axle and reverse the procedure. There might be a little trans fluid come out when you pop out the axle but it usually isn't much because you have the car jacked up on that side.

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Going to open it this first of the month, pension ect.