OMG OMG I am not ready yet!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by giraffe_baby, Jun 15, 2006.

1. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I went and was browsing my garden ( 1st ever remember) and OMG there is already zuccinni that i am going to have to pick tomrrow am!!! they are 12" long already!!! I thought maybe i had another month on them and maybe tomatoes would come first!! YIKES!:))

the okra is about a inch long, the cukes are about 2 inches, the yellow peppers and jalepeno's have a few ready to be picked and i am about to get INIDATED with roma tomatoes!!:))

I know i know your asking whats the big deal??? the big deal is i have no JARS! ( ok maybe 10 TOTAL) i have no seal (YET) for my OLD pressure cooker my gram gave me, i guess i just thought i wouldnt be picking anything til next month or august ( like i would of in michigan where we moved from!!) SO i am in shock, and now i guess i will have to be visiting my garden on a daily basis!:)) YIKES!:)

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, take a deep breath... let it out... take another breath, nice and deep.... let it out...

Good.

Now, you'd better pick those zucchini, and I recommend trying to pick them at a slightly smaller stage. 12" is rather large, and though impressive, does not always have as nice a texture and flavor as smaller zucs.

You don't need a pressure canner to make zucchini pickles. :) And you can shred it or slice it and pop it into the freezer.

Wish I could come and help you eat them -- oh, I mean, PROCESS them.. yeah... ;)

Pony!

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i got surprised with some monster zukes today too, and a few cukes.

make sure to keep those big ones picked off. if they are left on, they begin to mature, so the plant thinks it's job is done- it has made seeds, and quits producing.

just toss those whoppers (i fed mine to the pigs) and the plant will keep on making new ones. keeping them picked off helps it produce better. at a minimum, pick every other day. you'll be surprised how fast those things grow.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a cantaloupe the size of a softball today. Where has it been hiding up until now???

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

make sure you check under leaves thoroughly, I missed a zuke last year when I found it.. it was 15 inches, I was picking mine at about 9 inches they were much softer than the larger ones.

Ravenlost, lucky you, I have mixed mellons and watermelons that are just now starting to get their true leaves.

6. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

my garden!:) http://www.picturetrail.com/giraffewoman

OK dont laugh.. we havent weeded yet ( LONG story inlaws wont let us borrow their rotatiller( small one) so we are getting one this weekend) BUT these photo's will give you an idea.. PLUS there is one of our first " PICKIN" LMAO!! i am so proud!!

NOw the zuccinni was hidden under the grass!!!! lmao so i guess it grew cause the sun didnt get to it.. :)) I will post more also!

7. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

You can freeze the tomatoes until you are ready to use them. Just drop them in freezer bags, not need to even rinse. When you are ready to can with them, hold them under warm running water and the skin will slip off.

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

good job giraffe baby. Congrats and start eating.

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

giraffe baby, my garden has more weeds than yours and I consider mine to be in pretty good shape! Nice job :)

10. Pony

Your garden looks lovely! And it's only your first time out? Grand!

Now that you've had a taste of success, of course, you will be addicted to gardening forever...

BWAHahahahaha!

Welcome to the club!

Pony!

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Time to begin locking car doors in the area.

But man, Zuchinini... wow around here it can literally grow overnight, I swear it.

12. Pony

Don't forget --

August 8
    is
    LEAVE ZUCCHINI ON YOUR NEIGHBORS' PORCH NIGHT!

Pony!

13. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

What are people supposed to do with it until August 8th????

14. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I've been trying the "pass-it-off-on-your-co-workers" method. :)

15. SweetSarah

SweetSarah Well-Known Member

We decided not to plant zucchini this year because last year all we got off our plant was one whopper, nothing else! Now I regret not planting it this year. :(

16. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Actually, I was starting to get a little overwhelmed and then the squash borers got mine and now I miss it. Guess I'll plant some more.

17. Pony

I was thinking about renting one of those storage units... ;)

Pony!

18. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

Ooooohhhh zuchs!!!! I just planted mine yesterday. I lost my pack of seeds. I found them and my broccoli which I won't be planting for another few weeks. Right now I have TONS of corn growing and 6 large and 1 grape tomatoe plants. I had planted cantalope and watermelon but when I transplanted the died, so I just replanted them on Thursday. When I went out this morning they were just peeking up. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all this corn I'm going to have though! I have 10 rows of it, 5 white and 5 yellow!!!!

Man I want some zuch now!!!

19. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

giraffe- I'm so envious!!! Everything is sooooooo grrreeeeeeeennnnn!!!! I would take it weeds and all. I'm in the desert, so anything green is desirable..... except the snakes. Don't want those green, very deadly!!! LOL

20. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm.... our zucchini regularly gets to be foot long and up. I love it... I really can't tell the taste difference either... We're having some tonight, plus I have 4 to process into zucchini bread and zucchini pancakes.

Monster zucchini..... yummies.