OMG! Bears!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cmonkey, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cmonkey

cmonkey Well-Known Member

I was on the phone with my mom last night and I was sort of zoning out and staring out the window when I saw this black thing humping its way up a tree in the woods. I looked again and realized that anything that size and that black must be a bear. Then I heard our dog going ape nuts outside so I ran out and got her and ran back inside just in time to see a sow run across the drive followed by
    one
    two
    three
    FOUR cubs!

My first wild bear sighting! I'm delerious with excitement. This would explain why my compost pile is being turned so regularly.

Whee!

2. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

cmonkey,

There is nothing quite like seeing your first bear! Especially when there are cubs.

I saw my first one in Arkansas a few months back. A mother and cub!

And now I see them regularly at the edge of the woods and saw one the other morning running across a pasture.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, I get all in a twitter when I see a bunny rabbit.

Take pictures, if you can!

4. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

5. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I saw one awhile ago walking along on the side of the highway as if he were taking a stroll thru the woods. In the next days paper there was a story about a bear right in the middle of the city having to be darted to remove him to the woods. As the bear I saw was about a mile and a half from where the bear was darted I think that probably it was the same bear.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Grizzlies have been extinct in my area for about 90 years, black bears for about 20. :sigh:

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

8. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

This bear and cub walked across my horse pasture about a month ago.

[​IMG]

Stacy

9. dmarie

dmarie Well-Known Member

It has been a busy bear sighting season in this neck of the woods. DH has been seeing them at least a couple of times a week. DD almost had a nose to nose encounter with one a few weeks back. She was outside washing out a paintbrush, when she heard something coming up the hill through the bushes. Just a few feet away was the bear. Now that it's late summer (early fall) bear hunting season is now upon us. Since the spring bear hunt was cancelled a few years ago there has been an over abundance of them. Unfortuantely a few have been shot when they kept returning to the same areas in school yards.
    dmarie (north eastern Ontario)

10. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I've seen at least one yearling male cub at my place every year since I moved out there[almost 12 years now]. I have some good pics, but will have to get them scanned in, as I didn't have my digital camera then. Plus, it seems like every time I have the digital camera handy, he's gone too quick.... :shrug: I love watching them, though I do keep my trusty sidearm on me at all times....they ARE wild....

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Beautiful picture! I so envy you that gorgeous pasture.

12. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Please, come get as many bears as you want. Since Ontario cancelled the spring hunt, we have bears in the corn for the first time each of the past 3 years. A single bear can destroy 2-3 acres of corn in a night. We've lost about 25 acres so far. Bring back the spring bear hunt!

13. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Fish and Game have been talking about opening a bear season in our area for a few years now. We haven't had much of a problem but not far from here bears are raiding garbage cans, bird feeders, and making a mess of sheds and such.

Thanks, Lisa. My pasture so needs brush hogging! It's still nice and green tho.

Stacy

14. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

About 8-9 years ago i was walking along a road towards dusk and i heard *crunch crunch crunch* and i looked into the woods to see a bear cub running the other direction. . I ran as hard as I could and i dont think i stopped for a mile. I know where baby cubs are there is mama cubs and i wasn't wanting to see her LOL. Around here bears are rare but they do exist. Usually they just attack peoples bird feed or tear into the trash.

I would love to see a bear again. I had saw a mama and three cubs when we visited the UP when I was a child. They are beautiful but of course I wouldn't want them around my animals :p

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Here's a crummy picture of "Little Bear". He has taken up residence on the southern part of our property and comes out twice every morning to play in the river. He's very small..maybe a yearling. The Pyrenees must figure he's too far away to be a threat. (He's the black dot, LOL)

[​IMG]

Worse, is the big 400 or so pound black that is becoming pretty brazen, sticking his head thru my neighbor's screen and hanging out close to our barn and paddocks despite the Pyrenees. My 28 year old gelding went over his stall wall yesterday and got hung up. We think he might have gotten a whiff of that bear as our neighbors saw him heading in that general direction shortly before it happened. Maybe it's time to get some rubber bullets from F and G.