OMAD..One meal a day

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Kiamichi Kid, May 14, 2018.

1. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

Wow! That is an amazing weight loss. You should be extremely proud of yourself. My sincere congratulations.

I still use the salad plate as this really works and I also weigh and measure everything. It takes but a few seconds but makes a big difference in sticking to the right portion sizes. I bought a set of stainless steel long handled measuring spoons which I always use as serving spoons.

The thing about sticking to a routine or plan is that the longer you do so the more ingrained a habit it becomes. After all this time I never even think about having a Danish or donut (or two) for breakfast because I would miss my yogurt and fruit. Have actually turned down pancakes.

Kiamichi Kid and Irish Pixie like this.
  2. po boy

po boy Saltine American

I haven't had a donut or Danish in years. Here lately I have been eating Debbie Oatmeal Cream pies. I have gone months without deserts and years without chips.

Leaving junk food inn the store works for me.

emdeengee and Kiamichi Kid like this.

3. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I can't have junk, especially sweets in the house, poor impulse control. ;)

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  4. po boy

po boy Saltine American

That's why I leave in the store, LOL

5. Irish Pixie

Do the sweet things call to you? I can *hear* it calling to me... It's sad. Sigh.

6. po boy

po boy Saltine American

Nope, seldom even crave them and they don't know my name.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  7. Irish Pixie

If I don't eat sugar I'm fine, but if I eat then I crave it for a few day. Although is seems longer than that. And it does call to me- "Pixie, I'm here...just waiting" LOL

8. po boy

po boy Saltine American

Incognito shopping might work'

9. elevenpoint

elevenpoint Well-Known Member

I don't have junk food
    But chocolate is not junk food
    It's good for you
    This time I'm going to make cookies with the chocolate chips before I eat the entire bag
    I bought two bags last time just to be sure

Kiamichi Kid and roadless like this.
  10. Irish Pixie

Dark chocolate is so full of good stuff and antioxidants it's like eating vitamins, everyone needs vitamins. :D

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  11. elevenpoint

Hersheys special dark are vitamins

12. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year I won a fitness / health test at work.
    My prize was a free ticket to Hershey Park. :rolleyes:
    I swear they pump in the smell of chocolate there!

13. Kiamichi Kid

Kiamichi Kid The Renegade...

Congratulations on your successful weight loss...and improved health .

14. elevenpoint

As to OMAD
    I couldn't
    I'm a foodaholic
    I'm always thinking about what's next
    Usually I eat all day long bite of whatever I have especially working outside when its hot
    Bigger meals when not
    Pancakes eggs pork jowl and milk for breakfast
    Two hours later the rest of the linguine shrimp

15. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I've never been able to do OMAD. I can easily do 2 a day, but never found the right time of day and right quantity of food to eat just 1 time. I rarely get hungry after 4 pm, so for me it would probably have to be a large meal around 9-10 am.

That's probably your biggest challenge - finding the optimal time and amount of food to make it work without too much hunger between meals. I bet after 3 days it gets easier just like fasting does. I think that's how long it takes for you gut flora to change so the bugs that like carbs aren't yelling at you every few hours.

16. Kiamichi Kid

So far it seems to be working out ok for me....I've been eating between noon and 2 pm....eating until I'm full but not overdoing it and not really restricting any foods, although I am leaning toward lower carb foods (except for today)....Making sure that I'm drinking plenty of water and keeping an eye on my electrolytes.I ate while away from home today as I went for my 2 week post operative check up with my surgical team at the VA hospital...I had a large double cheeseburger with fries ...I ate most of the burger and about half of the fries...I was satisfied...I'm hoping that I'll be able to adapt to OMAD and do it for extended periods..alternating between less extreme versions of IF....It has been 2 weeks today that I started back on IF and I've lost 18 pounds as per the scale at the VA Hospital. I know that some of that will be water since I've lowered my carb intake.. but I know a good bit of it is also fat loss...After consulting with my surgeons today I've set a goal of losing another 75 pounds.

painterswife likes this.
  17. Kiamichi Kid

I'd like to thank each and every one of you for your replies...

18. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Very inspiring Kiamichi.
    I have a good friend who once every spring would do a 30 day fast. No solids, only squeezed oranges and water. It was a spiritual as well as a detox thing to him. I couldn't do it but admired very much his ability to flip that switch once every year.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.
  19. Kiamichi Kid

I have considered trying extended water fasts,working my way up from shorter to longer ones but I am trying to approach it all slowly while gathering data on how my body responds to each change in variables.Plus I want to make sure that I've completely healed from the major surgical procedures that I had just 2 weeks ago today.When I'm healed and feeling that I could take on another challenge then I'll consider how my body has done with the latest round of IF & OMAD.. then I'll go from there

20. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

And right there is the thing about diets. None of them work 100% for all people. Someone can swear by Mary and Joseph that South Beach or Adtkins or the Beelzebub diet is the hog's squeal and all that happens is you get discouraged with the results.
    I lost more weight by simply cutting fast food, soda and eating after 8. That and hard work. That is a fail for my wife and what she does to lose weight would cause madness and slobbering rage in me.
    Only you know your limits to hunger, when to detect weakness, hypoglycemia, etc.
    Being goal oriented, I do use the Fitness Pal website to help me keep daily calorie scores when I am dieting.

Kiamichi Kid likes this.