Olive barrel as water storage

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thegriffiths, Jun 15, 2006.

1. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

I recently received a plastic 55 gallon barrel that transported olives. Anyone get an olive taste from using one of these? I havent had a chance to check myself, it does have a slight olive smell to it.

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I've used em for transporting water. Currently using one as a water staging tank for my cement mixing operation. The smell will dissipate, although it does take a while.

I prefer the soft drink syrup barrels for water. Clean out quicker, and if there is a faint taste, it's of my favorite soft drink!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Scrub them thoroughly with soap and water and rinse well. Refill completley with water to which you have added a quart or two of plain laundry bleach. Screw the lid down tight and leave in the sun for a few days. Remove the lid, empty the water, then leave in the sun with the top off for a week or so.

I'm using five of the things (olives or peppers) for my emergency bathing/washing water and was gradually able to eliminate the smell.

.....Alan.

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the question and the responses. There is a guy that sells metal caged vegatable oil containers at the flea market. I've been holding off buying one, because I'm not ready to use it just yet. His has a spigot on it, so I was hoping to use it in combination with a ram pump for some drip irrigation.

5. thegriffiths

thegriffiths Well-Known Member

Thanks for the answers all. Now I need to find a way to get the water under some pressure without any electric. I thought of using a battery powered pump...but I am not sure.

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Do you need pressure, or will gravity be enough?

If you need to periodically get water out of the container and gravity isn't an option (i.e. getting it up high enough that you can run a tube of some kind down over the side and clamp it off when you don't want it to drain), maybe you could use one of the siphon things that aquarium stores sell for dumping the water from your fish tank - you squeeze the bulb a few times to 'prime it', then the action begins and water flows out.

Seriously low tech, but might work, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. :)

7. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had good luck getting smells out of various plastic containers by putting an open bag of charcoal in them and sealing them up. Only takes a few days. I got this idea from using charcoal in my aquariums, You don't want to use the kind with the additives for quick lighting.