Older small diesel that can be converted...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by seedspreader, Aug 20, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I need ideas for an older small diesel out of a vehicle (vw rabbit???) I want to try to do biodiesel or wvo and make a generator that runs off the stuff. Ideas of a diesel I can find in a junk yard somewhere (carwise) would be much appreciated.

The smaller the better I think?!?!?!?

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Lister and Petter made small single and twin diesels if you live in Canada you might find one

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

any older diesel with mechanical injectors will work. The rabbits and older mercedes are hard to beat and require little modification. I have 12500 generator head running off of a diesel engine i robbed from a 78 rabbit and mounted in an ibeam frame. runs like a charm but i havnt had time to get it set up for wvo yet but plan too real soon.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ah, now you are talking my language... even running on just diesel... is it as frugal as my diesel tractor. Where did you get the generator head? I suppose I have to find something that generates it's power mostly at idle for the best efficiency right?

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

My nieghbor and i were talking middle of last week about Lister engines and one in operation for over 70 years continuously, so i searched ebay and found that a fella in Maine is importing a lister copy from Metex of India that sells for $750..... its a heavy engine and by the time i ship it to Idaho it would cost me another $800.00..... but these old style engines are fuel efficient, high enough HP to turn a good size genset.... and may be actually better than a wrecking yard score in the fact you get a new engine that probably will out live you if taken proper care of. Of course the auction has ended and i did not save the item to look at again.... so i cannot provide any other information as to the people who had it... but it may list again and there were others as well that have ended now too.

As for genset heads try surplus center they have a 12.5 PTO driven for $900 or a person could use several car/ truck/ semi alternators to charge a battery bank and get an invertor.... depends on what your needs are.

William

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

One word in scrapper diesels,..... Isuzu. If you can find a Kubota diesel in a scrapper tractor your even better off. Try http://www.adeptr.com in the parts section for ag/industrial scrap yards.

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I bought my head at an equipment auction. It came out of one of those light trees that have the Kubota motors in them rated at 1800 rpm. The kubota needed a complete overhaul which was in the $$$ so I pulled the diesel out of the rabbit and hooked it up and after a little searching and phone calls I can get it pulling the 1800 rpms with lil to no effort at all. The engine is rated at 58 horses so pulling the head is no prblem at all. I ran it for about five hours when I first hooked it up and two things came into play COOLING. I bought a electric water pump and pulled the radiator out of a old deuce and a half I blew the motor in. No more cooling problem. Then there was fuel storage so I bought a fuel cell from a local buddy who drag races. It holds ten gallons and is square with mounting brackets so it worked really easy. I probably have about 500 in it total. But if you have priced a diesel gen in that range then you know that is nothing at all.

The thing to remember is that the light tree I bought had a 18 horse kubota so it doesnt need a huge amount of horses to pull it. The fuel consumption wasnt an issue at all. I am going to hook a load of about 75 percent on it soon and run it for three or four hours to see what kind of fuel rating I get from it under load.

I know the tank that was in with the lil kubota was 12 gallon so I figure that my motor should run close iof not better than the bota.

I still havnt decided what to do with the bota build it or sell it.

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

9. georger

georger Well-Known Member

Good lord!! Where's Red Green when you need him?? :)