Old Yellers Ghost SIC EM!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, May 6, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

2. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you can't keep your pet animals quiet then removing their ability to annoy everyone within earshot seems like a good idea to me.

I've had the unfortunate experience of living in town for a few years and I had a neighbor who had a dog that barked all the time and it is INCREDIBLY annoying and causes you not to be able to have any peace or enjoy your property.

The guy should consider himself lucky. I know other people who have used much more intensive methods to quiet a neighbors barking dog.

3. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

Quint:

Do you have an objection to a "bark collar" (seen here http://www.hitecpet.com/nobarkcollars.html)?

Don't you think that this bark collar might be a better 1st attempt at a solution than surgery?

Hermit

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    BR, do you mean OYG or the judge?

Quote; Words can't start to say what I would love to do to this Idiot. End Quote.

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

When we went to visit my BIL once and his neighbor has a dog that barked all day every day. We nicknamed it music - music to my ears - It was something that could make a person crazy. Eventually the city came out and took the dog because other neighbors complained.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i heard on the late news there looking into differant methods i shure hope so i never heard of such a thing

7. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

HI Y'all;
    Wow! I never heard of such drastic measures. I can't imagine a judge going to that extreme. Does the guy live in an apartment building? Was the man ordered to try alternative measures first?
    I have a neighbor that has hunting dogs and muts. Their pens are close to the property line. Whenever I go out into the side of the property they're on, they bark relentlessly, sure it's annoying but I wouldn't want the pooches harmed. If i lived in an apartment however and the three dogs barked on the other side of a common wall, all night long I would probably think otherwise.
    Someone had to talk to the judge, maybe one of the complaintants is a relative who wouldn't own up when confronted by the owner. It just doesn't seem logical that a judge would order something so harsh without being closely involved, he'd worry about public perception and reelection unless everyone else in the county is related to him or one of the people complaining. Otherwise how would he even know that the guy had 3 dogs that barked a lot. There's more to this story than was repoted in the link. It would be an interesting read.
    tamilee

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

:no: Thats just stupid!! Next thing you know'big brother' is going to make folks remove the teeth of dogs because they may bite someone.
    Why don't they start doing stuff to humans like the perverts? Humm what could we cut off???

9. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Debarking is done under anesthesia, it is a very simple surgical procedure, and usually results in a muted "whispery" bark. However, the dog may have the last laugh, because scar tissue can form on the vocal cords and the dog can regain the ability to bark loudly.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Yelp I'd like to see Old Yellers Ghost should get hold of that Judge.

My Dogs bark and it might seem like nothing but I'm sure in their mind it is something.Plus I like to know if they find a Snake around the house.

big rockpile

11. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I hate hearing about dogs having vocal cords removed. They showed this on t.v. and it looked cruel. :waa: I love all my dogs and sure they bark but I would hate to have their vocal cords cut. Maybe, the judge should have his vocal cords cut :D Maybe the neighbor should move, just another option.
    tnborn

12. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Can I sign up for both? :D

13. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I think a better ruling would have been to give the man three choices:

1) Move with his animals to a more suitable place for three active, noisy dogs.

2) Find new homes for his animals.

3) Then if not go with the bark collar and only surgery if the collar did not work or the man failed to use it.

My parents had a neighbor, where the homes are close together, for a time that had a dog that they kept outside constantly and all he did was bark. Small wonder he was a Norweigen Elkhound that they kept in a run left their by the previous owner who would use it on occassion for a little Cocapoo. :no: It was very annoying and not the dogs fault at all.

The neighbor behind them asked them to do something about it quite a few times and finally involved the authorities. They strted bringing the dog in at night occassionally but in the end where forced to get rid of the animal. A relative who had more land took it. The dog at least had some freedom and the neighbors had the freedom to enjoy their homes and yards in peace.

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

That judge may have lived surrounded by barking dogs like I used to. There were times that I could have cheerfully ripped their vocal cords out myself if I had thought of it. Sounds like a good plan to me.

15. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think we're getting a clear picture of the situation. The owner says that none of the other neighbors complained. So, is the neighbor cranky? Are the dogs left outside all day or all night? Are there other dogs in the neighborhood barking and the neighbor thinks these barks come from next door? One of my neighbors complained to me about another neighbor's dog waking her up at three in the morning every morning, even though it was an inside dog. Well, that was about the time our neighborhood skunk took his walk through the alley every day. All of the dogs barked. Many details are lacking in this article.

Debarking is a pretty drastic solution to barking. Of course, if you have neighbors whose dogs bark constantly, It may seem like a good idea. A better course of action would be to put the dogs inside. Still better would be to give them hard exercise every day and only leave them outside for as long as they can keep quiet.

16. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

big rockpile.
    This one leaves me speechless.

17. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Had the operation allready?

18. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

19. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

OYG, it appears to me via logic that you are very young, I would guess between 13 and 16. Your 'brand' of humor suggests female due to use of word play as a medium. The facts that a lot of your posts appear to be created in the wee hours of the morning makes me think you are home alone, maybe because your only present parent is working and you are bored and alone. Your posts display a need for attention - attention your not getting from any one around you or in your circle of friends or acquaintases. You are averageing 8.27 posts per day.

Displaying a seperate idenity (that of a dog) is appearing to be a disattachment from reality; it is also a place to speak out from a hidden adgenda. Either can be easily understood by any advanced student of the human mind. Your spelling and word use displays you are of average or better intelligence. The disattachment also allows you space to flee if you are 'fronted up' with any issue that becomes overwelming.

Your post just above is the first one I have seen where you actually communicate with other than not understandable jibberish. We are here, we are real people, your welcome to join this crowd with whatever is on your mind. It appears you need adult verbilization, which you appear to not get any where else.

Loose the dog thing, give us your real name (first only) and listen and learn. Dogs do not type or use the language that we use, your not even fooling yourself with the dog thing; its beyond even cute now. We have a 13 year old member here whom posts occasionally, you would not know it if she did not admit it to us. She is not condemmed for her age or inexperience, her posts are welcome and do fit in the parallelness of the theme of the thread. Throw away the junk that can become your personnal anchor now, there is a big world out there you are soon going to discover.

20. Ocassionally my dogs will start barking at night and won't shut up. I have found a good 2 X 4 will do the trick!