Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family is mostly Irish with a little bit of everything else. We are a superstitious lot by and large. For ten gazillion years now my right hand itches when a check or unexpected cash comes my way. Twenty four to forty eight hours beforehand. My ears turn red and burn when some one is talking or thinking about me...usually I get a call from a relative or friend I haven't heard from in years shortly after.

And yes, if my nose itches that means someone will come over to visit...out of the blue. I thought for many years it was all in my mind. Now, I pay close attention to these little signs. We won't even get into dreams. My sons used to tell me their dreams, then stopped because I could tell them what it meant. Never studied or knew much about that sort of thing..just knew on some level.

WhyNot had a post a short time ago about all the mice I was seeing. Really right on target. I am very interested if the rest of you experience these types of things. There are more things to the universe than we will ever know.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Last year everyone thought I was off the deep end when I said the wooly worms were predicting a bad winter.

This year I started seeing them earlier than last. Actually had someone ask me about them this year!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Trader Joe thought he'd try to learn a little Indian lore. Went into Chief's camp and saw the women all busy putting away sacks of corn, skins of pemmican, lacing up the tipi's tightly and sewing warm leggins and boots like crazy.

He asked the chief about all that and Chief said "Bad winter coming, must get ready".

"How do you know there is a bad winter coming?"

Chief says; "White man busy smoking many hogs, chopping much wood. Bad winter coming."

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Things in nature react to past, not future. Many old tales....sunflowers get high, prepare for a bad winter, 100 days from a fog will be rain? It tells you what present is and might give you a glimmer into the future? Still fails often as not.

Mom used to say sneeze twice...and expect company. Sneeze three times and expect a cold. If your palm is itching, expect money?

The sneezing was pretty true...Wish my palm was itching a hell of a lot more now! lol!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
My family is mostly Irish with a little bit of everything else. We are a superstitious lot by and large. For ten gazillion years now my right hand itches when a check or unexpected cash comes my way. Twenty four to forty eight hours beforehand. My ears turn red and burn when some one is talking or thinking about me...usually I get a call from a relative or friend I haven't heard from in years shortly after.

And yes, if my nose itches that means someone will come over to visit...out of the blue. I thought for many years it was all in my mind. Now, I pay close attention to these little signs. We won't even get into dreams. My sons used to tell me their dreams, then stopped because I could tell them what it meant. Never studied or knew much about that sort of thing..just knew on some level.

WhyNot had a post a short time ago about all the mice I was seeing. Really right on target. I am very interested if the rest of you experience these types of things. There are more things to the universe than we will ever know.
I knew a few people growing up that were convinced they had premonitions. Never happened to me, though. Or if it did, it was so infrequent that I never put much stock in it. What I want to know is... Well? Have they been? ;)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
If we are discussing old wive's tales, try this one. My female relatives all had big families. When one of them was pg they would hang a needle on a thread over the woman's belly and see how it moved. If it moved back and forth in a straight line the baby was a girl. If it moved in a circle, boy. (or was it the other way round?)

This would be an easy one to check out for accuracy today.
Ox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts